“Delectable fare”

The Courtyard Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Courtyard Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #509 of 3,429 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Description: Overlooking the beautiful Italianate courtyard in the BPL's historic McKim building, The Courtyard Restaurant is steeped in history and offers a delightful Afternoon Tea Service. Indulging in beautifully presented homemade pastries, a fine selection of loose leaf teas, and elevated tea sandwiches, The Courtyard Restaurant is a must when visiting Copley Square. The Courtyard is open for Afternoon Tea Monday through Saturday, 11:30-3:30 pm.
Reviewed 7 July 2017

My son and wife gave me an advance birthday treat taking me and my wife to high tea at the Courtyard restaurant in the magnificent Boston Public Library. I have had high teas around the world, but none in such august surroundings. The high tea consisted of scones,cakes and sandwiches complemented by an eclectic range of black and herbal teas. Our vegetarian needs were well catered for and our 3-year-old grandson was looked after too with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and cakes plus hot chocolate. Service was excellent. The $39 price is steep though.

Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

A fantastic find at Boston city library. This combined both of my favourite activities in one. Great food and even better service. Such a good opportunity to play grown up and family friendly too

Reviewed 1 May 2017

They serve here a very good "English style" afternoon tea and I should know, I am an English woman who currently lives in Florida. This is Afternoon tea, not to be confused with High tea which is an old northern English term for your evening meal (in my house we still have breakfast, dinner and tea). In my opinion (and I eat afternoon tea where ever I see it) this is good value for money at $39 for adults without wine. The quality of the food is very good and the quantity is generous. Any requests we had were catered for without fuss and we had a few (we even asked for plain scones and they made some specially for us). The menus are inside old books which is a nice touch and the room is very pretty. Overall a fantastic experience that I would be keen to repeat if we were back in Boston. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Nicola S
Reviewed 14 April 2017

The Boston Public Library offers an authentic albeit pricey tea in its Courtyard Restaurant. The room is elegant with its plush purple chairs which match the large purple water goblets. Weekend reservations may be hard to come by but weekdays are easier to obtain. The service is impeccable although our waitress offered more vegetarian sandwiches which did not materialize. The sandwiches, scones and sweets are pretty and delicious but quite small. Cocktails are available at an additional price. Many types of teas are on the menu and they are poured through a strainer from a tiny white pot. The menu itself is pasted into a book-quite clever. Tea here makes for a special celebratory event if you want atmosphere and conversation time.

Reviewed 7 April 2017

Nice way to spend the afternoon.

"Menu" comes in an old book. Classic menu with savory tea sandwiches ( wild mushroom butter, smoked salmon, and cucumber with lemon cream cheese), currant scones with Devonshire double cream and lemon curd, and French macarons.

Sampled several teas--favorite was the blood orange hibiscus. Ginger lemon and matcha (a green tea latte with fresh spring vegetables) were also refreshing.

Make sure to check out the Shakespeare first folios exhibit while you are there.