“Yummy!!!”

Ranked #231 of 3,434 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Seaport District / South Boston Waterfront
Description: Pastoral is a home, a restaurant, and a community and a dream. Dedicated to food and its direct connection to celebration, community, and culture. Providing one of the few human experiences we all have in common. Eating. Sharing at the table, we can open up our senses and our consciences to our place in the world, along with the place of our neighbors. Pastoral runs on a system of organic processes. Built on a foundation of relationships with our community of friends and teachers, hunters and farmers, importers and foragers, wine & beer makers, fishermen, builders, artists, we work to celebrate food and the daily nourishment it provides.
Reviewed 11 August 2016

My son and I traveled to Boston from Chicago to meet my husband on a business trip. I googled "some good places to eat pizza in Boston" and Pastoral was one that came up. We loved the yummy pizzas we ordered. Perfection! It was crazy busy when we went (Wednesday, August 10, 2016 around 12:30pm) and they tried to accommodate us the best they could! I would highly recommend if you want some yummy wood fired pizza! Kristin & Charlie from Chicago, Illinois

Reviewed 4 August 2016

We were a group of nine six adults and three children. We had taken advantage of the Friday after 5:00 p.m. one dollar entrance fee into the Children's Museum (for the umteenth time.) We were looking for a place to eat where we would not be uncomfortable with children. Our daughter-in-law had scouted around and came across Pastoral. We walked over and found that with about a half hour wait we could get in. What to do with the kids? The Boston Firefighters museum, which is free, and was open is right across the street. So we visited that small museum again. (I am not sure what the hours of the firefighters museum are. You will need to check.) This was on the last Friday in July 2016.

Pastoral specializes in pizza, but we did try the fried olive and green bean appetizers. They were both a little different and excellent in flavor. The kids got individual orders. For the six adults we ordered five pizzas. I tried four of them. The Funghi was excellent. They had a Rhode Island Fried Calamari special. It might be a little spicy for some but I loved it. Those two were a little different and really good. They had a pepperoni and marghareta which I tried They were good too. But the Funghi and Rhode Island Calamari special were a little different and tasty. I would recommend both.

The five pizzas were enough for six adults. They were probably a little too much but I finished off the last piece and a half so we wouldn't have to take any home. They cut the pizzas into quarters. That will ordinarily be fine. But if you have a larger group with people trying a number of pizzas you might ask them to cut them into eighths. We were able to do this on our own but if you know you are going to have a lot of tasters its easier if the pizzas are pre-cut.

I thought the food was reasonably priced for the area. We never usually eat after Friday night at the Children Museum because we always want to get the kids -- and now grandkids to bed. However, this was such a good experience in every way that we will definitely consider Pastoral when we are in the area. The restaurant gets 4 stars but the whole experience was a 5 start night.

For interested adults Pastoral has a wide selection of beers. I tried the Brooklyn Sirachi Ace. I liked it. It had a little after taste but not nearly as much as the name might suggest.

Reviewed 28 July 2016

I'd give this place 5 stars if the temperature in the restaurant was more comfortable. Came here with a big group of girls with a reservation and the table was ready right away, we had a really nice server, and all the appetizers and pizzas we got to share were delicious. We were sitting next to the kitchen (I think there was an open firebrick oven) so I get that it might be a little warmer but when we got there it was not remotely cool ... even when we first walked in at the host stand. We had just come from drinks at an outdoor bar too, so we were looking forward to cooling off inside. No such luck. Definitely worth another shot though, maybe their AC was just broken that day or something.

Reviewed 21 July 2016 via mobile

It's not easy to find decent vegan pizza but this place has an amazing vegan pie! Ask for lemon slices and arugula for an extra special treat!! There is also a good selection of craft beer on tap. Perfect place to grab a bite and a drink at the bar on a warm day as there is a garage door that's open at the end of the bar when the weather is nice.

Reviewed 20 July 2016

Our group enjoyed our meal at the restaurant. We ordered 4 different pizzas and they were all unique and tasty with the Napolatena being our favorite. We also ordered two appetizers, one was a fried mozzarella ball which was very good, but a bit on the small side and the other was a Crostini. It again was very tasty but the bread was grilled for a bit too long and it was difficult to share as it was almost impossible to cut into pieces. The restaurant was located in a convenient location and there was plenty of seating. On warm days they should really close the large garage door and put the AC on as it was very warm in the restaurant and there were no other fans to move the air around. The stickiness of the atmosphere made it very uncomfortable to be in there. But overall we enjoyed the food and would recommend to others.