“Great Japanese bbq”

Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ
Reserve with OpenTable
Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #545 of 3,446 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Barbecue, Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: St Marys Street
Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

We had a dinner for two and had a few beef plates and a couple of starters. The spicy cabbage was a good way to get your belly ready for grilled meat. The best was the beef intestine as it was incredibly fatty and marinated just right. Be sure to get a reservation beforehand because its a popular spot!

Reviewed 1 June 2018

1st time there and will definitely be going back as much as possible with each visit back to Boston. Eating here would be worth the 5hr trip to have a real yakiniku meal. It was almost as good as the yakiniku's in Japan. My only issue with this place is they bring out the meats separately vs on a big plate with dividers between the meats or just plate full of meats and then plate of the variety of veggies ordered. Here you have 90 minutes to cook everything and 2 hour time frame to eat everything. We waited 10 to 15 minutes for meats that were all brought out separately and took forever.

Best thing is to reserve thru Open Table usually the day before. If you don't reserve and walk in, you may have a long wait, but they will take your name & number, send you a text when your table is ready.

Reviewed 10 May 2018

So first let me say this. The food, the concept everything about that is awesome and I can't wait to go back again however I made a reservation there for 9:30 PM almost 2 weeks prior to going. I was called just before my reservation to see if there was any changes and I advised my party would only be 4 people instead of the initial 8. When I arrived they did not have a table ready and I had to wait an hour until a table was ready. I was determined to eat so we waited it out. Once we sat down however we were advised we had to choose what we wanted in 10 min because the kitchen was closing down which really irked me. Clearly you have to get there wicked early for decent which is good to know but don't make someone with a reservation wait for an hour and than force them to be quick when it was the first time going there.

Reviewed 8 May 2018

Gyu kaku is a Japanese bbq chain that we frequent pretty regularly. The food and service was good except for the horrible draft beer. It is a good place for a group to talk and eat a variety of meats/seafood/veggies. The sukiyaki bibimbap is always very good.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

Service and food are delicious here and its exceptionally fun for a group of 4-6! After you get over the idea of paying to cook your own dinner, this is a really fun experience. We opted for the pre-fixe options which grants you A TON of food for a reasonable price. All of the different meats come in different dry rubs and marinades, the seafood is great as well. We definitely left satisfied!