“Still good, but was great under prior ownership!”
Review of 224 Boston Street

224 Boston Street
Ranked #364 of 3,448 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Dorchester / Roxbury / Mattapan
Reviewed 13 January 2018

We've been patrons of this establishment for at least 20 years. Recently we became concerned when the original owner sold the place.

We were told by the new owner there would be no changes until at least the beginning of the new year, and subsequent visits bore that out. Last night was our first visit this year.

Gone are the kitschy, mismatched tables and chairs from the dining room, and in their stead new matching tables and chairs. The layout probably accomodates more diners but at the cost of some charm.

The new menu has several fewer entrees. Our dinners were very good, but we are used to excellent here. We would suggest restoring more of the original menu so at least there are more choices, even if new ownership seeks to mix things up.

The staff remains the same - for which we are grateful - and our service was excellent as always.

The long and shortt of it is that we will try again in a couple of months, but as of now the changes are not for the better.

1  Thank p59teitel

Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

Dinner on a Monday night was calamari and the rib eye.

Calamari was lightly pan fried and placed on a salad... good meat but odd combo...

Steak was also pan fried. Not a lot of flavor, they has some good sauces but it was lacking something.

Good atmosphere.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

I wanted a spot walking distance from the Marriott. This was a great local, neighborhood spot. I sat at the bar and "Pauly" took care of me. He knows everyone's name and has a great sense of humor. The food is good but the atmosphere is better.

2  Thank Matthew_bags_packed
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

We arrived 5 minutes before the restaurant opened at 5:30. A friendly busser offered to seat us early however the Manager or Host thought differently. Which of course we understood, however he was abrupt and welcoming.
A few minutes later the busser came out to tell us he could sit us in the second dining room. I ordered the Salmon with dill and yogurt sauce, which was suppose to come potato, spinach and fruit salad. The Salmon arrived with the potato and nothing else. I called the waitress back and told her it was suppose to come with spinach, she didn't apologize, only said oh , the chef should have added it and walked away. At that point there were only two tables of two in the restaurant. After about 10 to 15 minutes, I had to flag down the waitress asking her about the sautéed spinach, she said the chef was making it again no apology. She finally brings it over ( very small serving) and left. When I tasted the sautéed spinach I had to drink water immediately because there was at least a teaspoon of garlic under the leaves which made it uneatable.
When the waitress came back I told her about the spinach and she walked away. We paid our check and left, the Manager was by the door however didn't acknowledge our leaving. The restaurant and bar were still very slow.
While walking home my brother questioned the price I paid for the Salmon, I was charged $22.00 and he remembered the menu saying $18. We later called back the restaurant and asked the price, it was $18 vs $22.
I've been in the hotel and restaurant business for over 40 years and have never received this type of service.

1  Thank Patty M
Reviewed 7 September 2017

This was our second visit to this restaurant. We thought we would give it a second chance because we had heard good things about it. Unfortunately our second visit did not improve our impression.

I think the restaurant is very charming and it has the potential to be a great neighborhood restaurant and bar. The food was adequate both times but there was nothing that really wowed us. It wasn't very flavorful and the dishes seemed very basic.

The service was less than adequate but the service failure was not the fault of the wait staff. Both times they seemed to be understaffed. We went there on a Friday night the first time and a Wednesday night the second time. On our Wednesday night visit they had one bar tender and one server on for the whole restaurant. There were only about 7 occupied tables in the restaurant but we waited at the door for about 15 minutes before anyone was able to acknowledge that we were there. Once we were seated it took another 15 minutes before we were greeted and able to put a drink order in. Drinks were very slow. After placing a drink order there would be a 20min wait time for the bartender to pour a glass of wine. The waitress recommended their special poutine as an appetizer. It did not resemble any poutine I have had before. It was a few strips of duck meet on some cold fries with some gravy splashed on top.

For the amount of money we spent, we walked away feeling very unsatisfied. We were very disappointed because the restaurant is within walking distance for us and we would love for this to be a nice little date night spot, but we will probably not be back.

1  Thank Robert R

Been to 224 Boston Street? Share your experiences!