“One of Boston's Best!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Dorchester / Roxbury / Mattapan
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This neighborhood restaurant is consistently excellent. The oysters and scallops tonight were amazing. The new outdoor seating is really nice. Give this place a try; I bet you'll love it.

Date of visit: May 2021
1  Thank Wellington24
Write a reviewReviews (160)

Reviewed 23 July 2020

So many fun choices to try on the menu!
The brussel sprouts appetizer is fabulous! Skip over the lamb and head straight for the Braised Short Ribs - they are so tender they melt in your mouth! No knife needed for these short rib treats.
We also tried the seared scallops, also prepared perfectly. Definitely give this place a visit!
We got take-out so I can't answer the other questions.

Date of visit: July 2020
Reviewed 10 February 2020 via mobile

224 really was a delicious surprise. This was my first visit and I couldn’t have been happier with the food and service. I had a delectable burrata salad as an appetizer and the most delicious roast duck as an entree. The duck came with perfectly cooked vegetable sides. Both my
companions were equally happy with their pasta and seafood choices. And their bread... it’s simply the best. They had a great choice of interesting wines and beers too! I will definitely be going back soon!

Date of visit: February 2020
Reviewed 27 October 2019

I went here a couple years ago when I was staying at a hotel nearby for work and decided to do the same. It was later in the evening during a weekday so I was only looking for an entree. I ordered the short rib and mashed potatoes. This meal cost $30, and I got one bone of short rib and a little bit of potatoes and vegetables. I was pretty disappointed in the quantity of food for the cost. I told my coworker that this should have been no more than $20 and even then, it could have been less.
I went to an upscale steakhouse at a casino and ordered short ribs for around the same price. The quantity was almost twice as much and tasted better. I hate to leave negative/average reviews, but this was pretty upsetting remembering how much I liked it the first time and my experience this time.

Date of visit: October 2019
1  Thank Mike06810
Reviewed 3 October 2019 via mobile

224 has been a fixture in the neighborhood for about 30 years. Ownership changed recently, but the cuisine is still wonderful. Evidently the new owners have four other restaurants in the area, so they know what they’re doing.We had salads with grilled scallops and grilled salmon. Everything was fresh and delicious. The chicken wing appetizers were outstanding – we liked the dry rub they used. The Cape Cod oysters were fresh and delicious, too. Our server was very good, and the atmosphere is very local and cozy. The bar area is dark wood with nice big tables. 224 is a nice neighborhood place, and is within walking distance to the hotels being by the South Bat shopping area.

Date of visit: September 2019