“Bring cash!”

Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Takeout
Neighbourhood: North End
Description: One of the oldest bakeries and cafe in Boston - North End serving traditional Italian and American pastries. Also offering breakfast, lunch, dinner, and cocktails from our restaurant, "Modern Underground"
Reviewed 8 September 2021

OMG.... this place is incredible. We came for the cannoli, but wow the beauty of the pastries is almost overwhelming. Modern is down the street from Mike's. I've eaten at both. Modern wins. I didn't know a cannoli was supposed to be crispy. They were great. Bring cash because they don't accept anything else. Leave happy! The people were nice too.

Date of visit: September 2021
1  Thank Scott S
Write a reviewReviews (2,157)

Reviewed 27 August 2021 via mobile

Incredible pastries!! Modern pastries hands down has some of the best in all of Boston.
Absolutely incredible food and totally recommend. Loved the cheesecake and their croissants are perfect to bring home and heat back up for the fresh taste.
They blow Mikes pastries out of the water!

1  Thank 24devyn
Reviewed 23 August 2021

The line outside says it all... this place is fabulous! Truly, I would have liked one of everything, but I wouldn't have been able to fit into anything I own if that was what I bought.

I got some sort of Ricotta Peve or Pave that was out of this world and the black and white cookie was the best I've ever tasted.

1  Thank Wendy W
Reviewed 22 August 2021

...you know it is good, and it is. Great chocolate mousse and chocolate cannolis. We shared a pack of 4 or 6 and we all got to same the pastries. Excellent choice for dessert or breakfast.

1  Thank tosl
Reviewed 20 August 2021

We were a group of 10, walking the Freedom Trail on July 17, 2021. Since we started the trail about 9:30 AM at it's beginning, and after visiting Faneuil and Quincy Markets it was lunchtime and we were hungry. Others in our group were Boston locals (we are from Minnesota) and took us to have lunch here. It is on the North End and Hanover St. is a great place to sit outside, eat lunch and do some people watching. Inside the place was crazy busy with a long line of people wanting to buy pastry or other goodies to go. This place has a fifties look about it, though it probably is much older.
Lunch was just okay and service was super, super slow. Once we got out food, no one came back to ask if we wanted anything else. When we wanted our check we had to wait another 20 minutes. When we had our check, no one came out to pick it up. We actually could have just walked away without paying and no one would have even noticed. But, we were honest and went inside to pay. Sitting outside at a table was okay but not only a lot of people walking by, but the traffic on Hanover was noisy and super busy as well. I guess I would have perferred a quieter place off the beaten path and maybe have some Chowdah which wasn't on the menu here.

Date of visit: July 2021