“Yummy treats!”

Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighbourhood: North End
Description: One of the oldest bakeries and cafe in Boston - North End serving traditional Italian and American pastries. Also offering breakfast, lunch, dinner, and cocktails from our restaurant, "Modern Underground"
Reviewed 13 October 2021

huge selection on pastries. Options to customize your cannoli is great. BRING CASH $$$ no credit cards. So bring cash. Def must try. Delicious!

Date of visit: October 2021
Write a reviewReviews (2,166)

Reviewed 13 October 2021

Modern was recommended by a local server when asked between Mikes and Modern. She said Modern is known for more traditional cannoli's which is exactly what I wanted. Ordered a plain with traditional ricotta and chocolate chips, and then a Chocolate covered, with traditional ricotta and chocolate chips. Both were amazing. Luckily hotel room had a fridge so I could enjoy over the following 2 days. They were lined up out the door on this first Friday of October, but the line moved quickly. Their other items looked amazing too but I was on a cannoli only mission. Note, this is a CASH only establishment so plan accordingly.

1  Thank AmazingRacer22
Reviewed 12 October 2021

This was a stop on a food tour I went on. I was SO happy about it; I had heard about the "rivalry" between Modern and Mike's, so I was pretty sure I'd be happy with cannoli from either place, although I heard that Modern was the favorite among locals. Our guide waited quite a long time (about 40 minutes), which I found unusual. Every other food tour I've been on in other cities, the places we visited were ready for us and had our food ready within 5-10 minutes, so the wait was really too long for a food tour. HOWEVER, it was worth it! That ricotta filling was amazing! Next time I go to Boston, I want to get a cannoli from each place and compare them myself. I just wish I had gone in myself to see the other pastries everyone talked about.

Reviewed 7 October 2021 via mobile

Not a fan of the cannoli here (filling is too lumpy for me), but LOVE the almond macaroons. These are Italian cookies, not the French macaroons. That chewy goodness! You have to eat them the same day or lose the wonderful texture, but that’s not a problem for us!

Reviewed 1 October 2021 via mobile

I was impressed by the quality of the desserts for such a reasonable price. They only accept cash but the service is very friendly.