“Great Experience in Historical Location”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #124 of 3,393 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Tremont
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I was here for Restaurant week (March 23, 2018). This restaurant is located in the Old City Hall which has a nice old school vibe for a steak house. We were sat on time and the whole staff was very pleasant although it was very busy. Our server accommodated all our questions. Two of us ordered the filet with creamed spinach and our friend had the crab cakes and upgraded to asparagus with hollandaise. The steaks were cooked to perfection and were a great portion. The crab cakes came out with three of all lump crab meat. The dessert was bread pudding which I loved, although it was a little dry. My only other comment would be that the creamed spinach was a tad cold. Otherwise, I will be back as a repeat customer for the service and quality of food beyond restaurant week.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

If you have gone to a Ruth's Chris before, you know the food is excellent. The service is as good as it gets so what more can you ask for? The Ruth's Chris is Boston is a favorite of ours to visit because of its location and atmosphere. The old City Hall building adds formality to the event and having a table near windows is a special treat. Our view was of the Granary Cemetery, so our dining companions were the Boston elite: Hancock, Adams, Revere, Mother Goose - take a look during the day! The evening we went to Ruth's Chris was snowy and the views were wonderful - Salad, Filet, banana cheesecake, perfect .

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Naisha and Sable were great hostesses. Our waiter Nick was excellent. We took advantage of Happy Hour in the bar before we ate in the downstairs dining room. The pomegranate martinis were superb. We loved the Restaurant week menu for $38. We enjoyed the cauliflower lentil soup, New York sirloin with mashed potatoes and creamed spinach and our bread pudding desert. It was a lovely evening and is a real fine dining experience.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

It's rare to find a restaurant where each flavor is subtle and varied and the portions are so generous. I had a wonderful meal at Ruth's Chris Steak House recently and everything about the experience was superlative. From the prix fixe offering with nice choices to an amazing dessert, this is THE place for fine dining in Boston downtown. The Caesar salad starter had lovely flavors, including the delicately-seasoned croutons, which I rarely bother with, but here they had a hint of parmesan and were a nice counterpoint to the rest of the dish. The white wine by the glass wasn't too dear and was a good companion to the meal. The waiter was knowledgeable and accurate in his recommendations. The main dish PRIME (yes, I said prime) fillet was perfect, and the 3 shrimp accompanying it were lovely. I had a nice potato side dish, and I was unable to eat dessert at the time, due to the bounty in front of me, but my waiter graciously sent it along home with me, and I enjoyed an exceptional creme brûlée later. I must confess I have never had a nicer meal overall. The ambiance is also very well done -- the 16 foot high ceilings from the French 2nd Empire style of the old City Hall gives a single diner a lot to enjoy visually, and while the room was grand, it had a friendly, rather than snobbish feel to it. The whole meal was un-rushed and calm with attentive service that was nicely paced. I sent my compliments to the chef, who I heard was catering a large group gathering, while his kitchen and wait staff brought off the meal perfectly. Be sure to make a reservation! Seating was a bit tight where I sat, but I moved the table a half a foot to gain a little privacy, and everything worked out OK. Ruth's Chris is an experience not to miss when you are in downtown Boston.

Reviewed 28 February 2018

My wife and I celebrated our 50th anniversary in May 2017. We were so impressed that we made a reservation for Dec. 2017. Needless to say, the meal was fantastic, staff amazing. Our waiter(Alex) was so good, we requested him for Dec. Ruth's was flawless! Thanks to all the staff. We will see you soon!