“Spacious rooms, newly redone”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #2 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Great location, spacious contemporary rooms and a separate tub/shower were things I really enjoyed about this hotel. There are quite a few great places to eat, drink and explore nearby.

The concierge level was also quite impressive and I would recommend it. They had quite a good variety of food and drinks to choose from, and a comfortable sitting area where people were casually chatting.

I actually preferred the amenities and rooms much better here than at the Harbor hotel, they were more modern and fresh while Harbor is more traditional and stuffy.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank islabery
ICBoston, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Thank you for your complimentary comments! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our amenities and accommodations. Please visit us again soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

I arrived at 1230am on Saturday having called ahead to ensure my room was still protected since my flight was delayed. Once I checked in I went to my room and found the view promoted as "river view" was indeed misadvertised. The only way to see the waterway was to go to the window and look to the right. IThe desk was called and second room on the 9th floor was provided. I was assured it would be acceptable and much nicer. When my wife and I opened the door we saw the same scenery as we did on the 12th floor. The next door buidling was our immediate view. Another trip to the desk finally yeilded us what we paid for.

During my three day stay i quickly found that the furnishings in the room and the hotel decor is very mordern and in the best condition. The matress was very firm and provided constant pain to my lower back. While the hotel is acclaimed as a five star property the mattress is at best a 3 star if not lower.

Based upon sleep quality I would not rate the hotel better than a three although you will find acceptable rooms and marginal hosuekeeping services.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
ICBoston, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

We are sorry to hear that your recent stay at InterContinental Boston was less than perfect. We strive to provide our guests with comfortable, relaxing accommodations and in this instance we clearly fell short. I have shared your comments regarding the quality of our mattresses with our management team and we are working on ways to improve in this area. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will consider staying with us the next time you are in Boston.

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Front desk staff were very pleasant. Rooms are awesome. Location is convenient to everything in downtown Boston.
Didn't get the opportunity to use the Water Taxi transportation from/to Logan Airport.
Had breakfast at the restaurant one morning and it was delicious.
Enjoyed the atmosphere and will stay again when I travel back to the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at InterContinental Boston and look forward to hosting you the next time you are in the area. On your next visit, make sure you take the water taxi to our hotel. It is a great opportunity to see Boston from a different view!

Reviewed 15 September 2012

Firstly, the location is great. It's in a good part of Boston, close to the centre of the city, but right on the river front which makes for a nice walk. I was nicely welcomed as soon as I walked in the front door, and although I didn't have much to do with the staff after that, I felt they were friendly and welcoming.
The room was great. Comfortable, well maintained and with all the expected facilities. Bed was very comfortable, room service was well maintained, bathroom was great. No complaints at all about the room.
I didn't attend the downstairs bar or restaurant, so no comments about that.
I'd recommend this place. Certainly one of the better hotels I stayed at in the US.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
ICBoston, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that you have no complaints about your recent stay at InterContinental Boston. It is also a pleasure to know that you would highly recommend our hotel to other travelers. We appreciate your comments and look forward to hosting you the next time you are in Boston.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

This hotel was quite a disappointment. Apart from people working at the front desk not much justified that the hotel was a 4 and half star one.
There are some major architectural and interior design flaws around. The probably best example of them is the sliding "window" between the bed and the bathroom. What was the designer/architect thinking??? Who wants to hear their spouse or co-worker using the bathroom??? Well, with that window, whoever came up with the idea, they made sure nothing remains in secret.
Then, the stone tiles in the room by the door. It makes the whole thing look cold (and in fact, it IS cold, regarding its temperature).
Tinted windows. They are probably only good to make the building look shiny from the outside, but they don't protect from other guests looking into the room through them. Even with the curtain closed it can be seen what's happening in the other room. Only the blackout curtain helps against that.
In the steam room the floor tile is dangerously slippery when wet. (Again, what was the designer thinking?)
And worst part of this hotel is housekeeping. In my opinion that's the weakest link in a hotel but InterContinental Boston totally verified it. I have no idea what kinda training they get but every and each day something basic was missing in the room after clean-up. Bath mat, mouthwash, body lotion, plastic bag for ice bucket or coffee/sweetener as a few examples. I needed to call guest services every day to get the missing items AND even after they took my call and wrote down what I needed what housekeeping "forgot" to replace when the person from the housekeeping came up to my room some items were still missing! One day even some pieces of a cookie I ate previous night stayed on the carpet after the "clean-up". 4 and a half star hotel? Really? A no name hotel does a better job... and if not, they never got 4 and half stars...
A lot to correct at this hotel...

P.S.: today I got an email from the hotel in which they offer a complimentary upgrade for next time I stay with them. Nice, but did all the negative experiences need to happen from a high-end hotel like IC?

Room Tip: If there are rooms without the sliding window, maybe that works.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Please accept my sincere apologies for the service challenges you experienced during your recent stay at InterContinental Boston. The inconveniences you experienced in no way reflects the high standards of cleanliness and service that we strive to achieve. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping team and we are working on ways to improve in this area. Although we never want to hear that a guest’s stay was less than perfect, honest feedback such as yours gives us the opportunity to make necessary improvements to our service. You are a valued guest and we hope that you will consider staying with us the next time you are in Boston.