“Nice Hotel”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #2 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Stayed at the Intercontinental for four nights while attending the Yankee Dental Congress. The room (1107) looked over the waterway with the harbor in the distance to the right - straight ahead was a view of more rooms. Amenities are in line for this level of hotel. The bed was firm. Some hotel beds are so thumb sucking comfortable that you daydream about them during the day - Don't expect that experience. But the pillows were comfy and did not have that sweaty head odor. Big soaking tub with separate shower. I agree that the sliding window between bedroom and bath is kind of weird but I guess it makes the room seem bigger. Temperature control in the room is very limited, as is the case with so many large hotels. We like a cool (OK - cold) room at night, so it was nice to be able to crack open the lower pane of one of the floor-to-ceiling windows. All staff were friendly and helpful. Room service was good. Had breakfast at the Miele restaurant onsite one morning. Pricey but the atmosphere was nice. Internet was free due to association with the Yankee Dental Congress. I truly resent properties that still charge for internet access, which this property normally does. Charging for internet is such a cheap shot ripoff. Try not to use the laundry service - almost cheaper to buy a new shirt. Don't know about regular pricing since we had special conference rates but I would be comfortable paying $200/night for this room, no more than that.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank traveldent

Reviewed 5 February 2013

I am what must call a road-warrior for the last 9 years and thus I have stayed at many Intercontinental Hotels in the past and the Boston property is a relatively nicely appointed one, with nice staff and good food options. In general, a consistent chain but no clear character that makes it stand out.
My only bad experience was losing a piece of personal property that was only used inside the room on my first night where I stayed for three nights, which after realizing that it was no longer in my room by the end of day two I had little to no assistance from this hotel. One can only wish that there would be a process to formally report this type of events but no such luck...and to make matters worse my own company doesn't have policies to cover personal losses during the conduction of business. Bottom line: no matter how rushed you are...keep track of your belongings even if you are the only one using the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view unit.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Javier Ander Z
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Dear xavierCT75,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Boston.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 31 January 2013

I recently made a reservation online for a business meeting in Boston with Intercontinental. After my business plans changed, I called the hotel to cancel my stay (more than a week notice). I was told that because I paid in full at the time of reservation, that I could not get a refund for my cancelled stay.

This is very poor business practice and customer service. This hotel is basically telling me that if you pay ahead, you will be penalized if plans changed. I understand that there may have been some fine print that I should have have paid more attention to. But I was used to easy transactions with hotels like Marriott, so this staunch refusal of refund was a shock. You must be fair to your potential customers and Intercontinental does not follow this credo.

Intercontinental not refunding my $506.53 because my travel plans changed is wrong. I am very disappointed with this hotel and will let my company travel agent (we have a home office in Boston) know to stick with the Marriott (which we most often use) as Intercontinental hotel chain is difficult to work with (especially with business travel plans so frequently changing).

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank jhart88888
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Dear jhart88888,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to follow up with you regarding this matter. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 30 January 2013

Great location, wonderful modern rooms, beautiful bathrooms, very comfortable beds. True, it is expensive, but it is just perfect. Ask for a waterfront room: it is more quiet and you will have a wonderful view.

Room Tip: waterfront room, e.g. 1145
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank turtlezurich
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Many hotels relegate the fitness center to a room off to the side with no view. Not the InterContinental, which sports a gym with floor-to-ceiling windows that look out onto Atlantic Avenue.

The gym included bikes, ellipticals, treadmills, weights and an assortment of yoga equipment.

The rest of the hotel has a comfortable, dark-wood decor. My room had a bathtub to complement the shower.

This hotel is only a few blocks from South Station.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
ICBoston, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Dear Jaypo7,

Thank you for your detailed review of our location, guestrooms and Fitness Center. We believe that our guests should work out in an inspiring setting and are delighted you enjoyed the welcoming environment of our Fitness Center. We now offer fun fitness classes during the week and suggest you try a class the next time you stay with us. We appreciate your comments and look forward to your future visit!

Best,