“Don't tell my husband however but I've fallen in love with another... hotel!”

Seaport Boston Hotel
Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 May 2011

Greetings y'all!
My alma mater, Boston College Law School selected me as the 2011 Recipient of the "Hon. David Nelson Public Interest Award" in recognition of my career giving pro bono bilingual representation to homeless victims of domestic violence. I have viral cardiomyopathy -- a type of congestive heart failure -- thus, I should not fly 2 days in a row, neither should I travel great distances alone. Usually, when I travel to Boston, I stay at the Omni Parker House; however, since the event was being held at The Seaport Boston Hotel; therefore, it mad sense for us to stay there, to make things easier.

Oh, what a pleasant surprise! My son and I needed a little extra room because of my disability and also because he is a maturing young man and shouldn't be sleeping in mom's bed, if you know what I mean! Hence, we reserved a King bedroom suite. In a word, it was "beautiful!" It was a corner suite with the living area facing the Logan Airport -- my son is OBSESSED with airplanes and swore he was going to watch them take off and land all nignt, but thank goodness they stop flying at midnight! -- but one cannot hear any noise from the airport whatsoever. Both the living area and the bedroom had flat screen HD televisions with a choice of approximately 71 different channels. In addition, the rooms all have free Wi-Fi; nevertheless, if you cannot complete your internet transactions in your room, there is a business center where all of the options are gratis from logging onto your email account, faxing or receiving correspondence via facsimile, printing out your boarding passes or just making copies.

When I spoke with my girlfriend, a resident of Boston who was coming to the ceremony and chaperoning my son and me the following day so he could do a history PowerPoint presentation on Boston in lieu of making up 3 days work, she warned me that the temperature was 46 and rainy -- in San Antonio, where we live, it was already in the 80's and it was only April! Therefore, I made sure to stop by Target the day before the trip and purchased umbrellas for the two of us. That was not needed: Not only do the rooms come with complimentary robes, they contain an umbrella for each guest to use during her stay -- again, gratis.

The ceremony, which was held on the Plaza level was AMAZING! In the foyer, different stations were set up with some of the most scrumptious delicacies you could imagine. There was an open bar (even though i don't drink, my son and I were happy with the selection of non-alcoholic drinks available), and a different station for everyone's tastes. There were two types of ravioli -- butternut squash with a cream sauce & ricotta and spinach in a marinara sauce. In addition, there was a beautiful salad that was much more than your garden variety hotel salad -- it had arugulla and raddichio as well as grape tomatoes and cucumber. Furthermore, there was a "bread table" (and being a native of San Francisco, I sweat in excitement when I see sourdough bread!) with at least four different dips including a spinach dip and another one that had lobster while another one had white beans (no, it wasn't hummus). Moreover, for the seafood lovers, there was lobster risotto as well as lobster in little sugar cones. Yep, sugar cones like one would get at the ice cream parlor, only finger sized. In addition, there was a meat station (not being a red meat eater, I cannot say if it were prime rib, roast beef, or what; I just know that my friends could not get enough of it!). I thought it was odd that there would be all of these appetizers and entrees and no dessert. I should not have worried: The desserts were in the ballroom on the tables -- miniature cupcakes: chocolate fudge, vanilla, carrot and red velvet. Because I have a GI problem, I could only nibble on the food during the evening so my stomach would not ache, but my son and my two friends chowed, I kid you not, and their tastes are as discriminating as my own.

After the ceremony, around 9:00 p.m., I was STARVING, so I ordered room service. Oh, WOW. I special ordered an omelet with spinach, porcini mushrooms, Boursin brie and, are you ready for this: CRAB. Can you say "YUM?" I knew you could! It came with a salad that had a delicious vinagerette (sp?). Meanwhile, my son had typical son food but with a not-so-kiddie presentation: He had a cheeseburger with American cheese, french fries, chocolate milk and two chocolate chip cookies that were larger than his hand. The cheeseburger did not come on a dried out old bun, oh now: It was on artisan bread, an onion roll, I believe. My son is a chocolate milk fiend and swore that it was as thick and delicious as a milk shake; in fact, he made certain to have a glass of it with every meal! After stuffing ourselves into a happy food coma, I made sure to order a wake-up call for I felt I could merrily sleep until noon and we had some sightseeing to do. My wake-up calls for both days were right on the dot (I've had bad luck with some hotels that use an automated wake-up system; at The Seaport Boston, a live person takes your request; likewise, a real-live person awakens you the next morning.

The award that I won was an incredibly heavy piece of engraved crystal. I was leary of putting it in my luggage or even in my carry-on bag for fear of scratching, or worse breaking, it.. Thus, once I showered/shampooed/and shined in the decadent bathroom (designer shampoo & conditioner installed on the shower wall) I went downstairs to ask the concierge for advice. She took my award and had me fill out a Fed/Ex form. That was all I had to do. when I arrived in San Antonio the following day, it was awaiting me, tripled boxed with bubble-wrap and cardboard between each box, the freight charged to my credit card but on my end, it could not have been more simple.

The evening concierge was just as wonderful. One of the things I HAVE to have whenever I travel to Boston is a cannoli, a delicious Italian dessert. Oh, they have cannolis in San Antonio: They are made with puff pastry, whip cream and maraschino cherries on top (you can puke now). A "real" cannoli is made with a pastry that has been molded and deep fried, ricotta cheese mixed with confectioner's sugar and the really good ones have miniature chocolate chips. When I went down to the concierge, I explained my sweet-tooth dilemma. He immediately called a nearby restaurant, told the waiter of my problem and asked if they could do something for me. The waiter said that he could, but I better hurry for they were closing in 10 minutes. I walk with a cane, so I wasn't exactly a-hippin' and a-hoppin' down the yellow brick road, ya know? Nonetheless, I made it there. The waiter said, "You know, those suckers are EIGHT dollars each and they are kind of tiny." I didn't care. Momma had to have her cannoli. So, he disappears and prepares it for me. When he returns, I look through the clear plastic top and was pleasantly surprised: Because the concierge at The Seaport Boston told the gentleman how I loved the dessert but could not get a decent one in San Antonio, he gave me an extra one for free!

Because I am a miitary wife, I have been around the world. My #1 favorite hotel in the whole wide world is The Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco (are you old enough to remember the television show, "Hotel"? Well, the exterior shots were of The Fairmont). Because it's in my home town; it's where my husband & I spent our honeymoon 20 years ago; we've spent other wedding anniversaries and reunions there, The Farimont will ALWAYS be my favorite hotel. Their suites give you views of Nob Hill, Coit Tower and the Wharf. Bee-u-ti-ful! After living in Texas for approximately 19 years, my second favorite hotel is The Houstonian, in Houston, TX. The hotel itself is hidden by luscious greenery, not unlike a college campus; they have 3 swimming pools -- one for laps, one for kiddies, and a general one; the food their is incredible; and, they have one of the top rated Health Clubs in the nation, constantly rated in the top 10 in the nation because of their state-of-the-art equipment and plethora of classes, all free for guests.

But, I have to tell you, after just one visit, The Seaport Boston is now my third favorite hotel! While I'll always love the Parker House Rolls and Boston Creme Pie (both created at the Omni Parker House), you just can't beat the service, the quality, the food and the overall wonderful experience of The Seaport Boston. Not one, I repeat, not one of their employees would accept at tip -- not for hailing a cab, not for lugging my baggage, not for bringing my food -- nothing! One of my room service waiters, Jose, had a different accent; thus, I asked him in Spanish where was he from. He looked a little stunned -- I guess it's not everyday you have an African American woman who speaks Spanish with a castillian (from Spain) accent. We had a chit and a chat & I found him quite charming. He brought a couple meals to our room, including breakfast (oh, and if you order the pancakes, get the short-stack because you will be huffing and puffing to finish all 3 in the regular order, no matter how tasty they are!).

Although my son and I both brought our swim suits with us, we just ran out of time before we could make it to the pool, which is advertised as having "underwater stereo." My son and I have our curiousity peaked; hence, we would return merely for the pleasure of trying to find out what the heck an underwater stereo sounds like! Fortunately, we have a "gazillion" (my son's term, not mine!) reasons to return. Like my son said after ten minutes, "Call dad & tell him we're never coming home!"

Well, we had to come home; nonetheless, we are already saving up for our return visit to Boston and The Seaport Boston Hotel. WE LOVED IT!

• Stayed: April 2011
SeaportGM, General Manager at Seaport Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2011

Congratulations on your recognition - it is a fitting testimonial to your life’s work. We are delighted your stay was enjoyable and we wish you all the best with your health. We look forward to your return.

Kind regards,
Jim Carmody
VP & GM

Reviewed 27 April 2011

Stayed at Boston Seaport Hotel for three days for Easter with my husband and two little boys (4 and 2) and the hotel was very good for us. It is very conveniently located, the room was perfectly clean and big enough for us and the kids had a lot of fun in the pool. We parked the car and did not take it at all during our three day stay, we went everywhere we needed using the T or walking.
We did not use the restaurant or room service.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2011

As I've travelled often in Boston I wasn't sure about the location however, it ended up being very convenient. Tips are included in the price therefore, no nickle and diming and the staff and service was excellent.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JMTX
SeaportGM, General Manager at Seaport Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2011

Thank you for your review. Often there are assumptions that take years to overcome. You have recognized how convenient the location is and also applaud the quality of service in a service inclusive environment. Thank you for challenging conventional wisdom. Kind regards, James M. Carmody, VP & GM

Reviewed 23 April 2011

I am currently staying at this hotel and normally I write a review after returning home. Unfortunately I have had enough.

All was good on check-in and I thought it would be great, I even got a call 30 minutes later asking if all was OK. The room is OK, nothing special, basic bathroom and an empty minibar, what is the point of having it. One nice touch was a pod type coffee machine.

I then prepared some laundry and it was 6pm so I knew it would not be back until the following night which was fine. I forgot to call housekeeping and asked the reception on the way out if they could arrange, the lady I spoke to was just full of excuses not to help. Why didn't I call myself from the room? (I forgot) Why don't I go back to my room and call? (I am on my way out) Why don't I call in the morning? (I have had no sleep all week as I flew in from SIngapore, I want a lie in and you have to call before 9am to get them picked up), House keeping ca't enter the room with nobody there !!! What, how do they clean it... and it went on and on, luckily someone with an ounce of customer service overheard and said no problem we will deal with it.......

Next day I asked if I could have a late check out for the next day and the lady at reception just said how can we tell, you will have to come back on the day of checkout and ask... That is OK but no need to be rude.

The hotel is full of kids so no chance of any peace and quiet, breakfast is a theme park and not that good either for the money...

I now wish I paid a couple of extra dollars for a decent hotel. This should not be ranked at number 17, I think a problem is that service is included in the price so they don't get tips and the staff just can't be bothered, there are one or two who are very nice but the rest let these ones down.

Location is OK but apart from one or two restaurants not much else around...

This is at best a mediocre hotel, not worth the high rating for service they go on about

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank LeeCSingapore

There is no excuse for poor service and we will follow up directly with our Guest Services agents. This exchanged you describe is counter to all our training and philosophy. A late check out on any day we are scheduled to be full is a challenge but certainly we can provide that answer on request and we always try to accommodate. We provide a working refrigerator in guest rooms with modestly priced bottled water, based on guest feedback. Your visit coincided with school vacation and many families choose Seaport as a convenient base to explore Boston. We have approximately 30 restaurants within a five minute walk in addition to Aura and Tamo within the hotel itself. Please except our most sincere apology for the inappropriate response from our guest services agent. I have spoken with the front office staff personally about this incident and its implications.

Reviewed 14 April 2011

The shuttle that supposedly take you to the market never showed up. They promised me 10-15 min. After 25 min I gave up and was disappointed for all the time I spent outside the hotel waiting for the shuttle.
The health club only opens until 9:00 p.m. However when I got there at 8:45 p.m. it was closed. They told me if no one is there they close!!!!
For all the money that they charged my a night $297 it'd expect better service.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank atraveller091010

Thank you for posting this review. Time is a precious resource and we apologize for contributing to your unproductive time. Our complimentary shuttle service is precise, however, anomalies do occur and while I can’t explain this schedule variance, these are very rare. Thank you for pointing out the early closure of Wave. On weekends, we close at 8 PM as there is little demand after that but on weekdays, closing time is 9 PM. We have reaffirmed our commitment to these hours and early closure, outside of holiday exceptions, is not acceptable. Kind regards, James M. Carmody, VP & GM