“Lacking some basics”
Review of The Atwood Hotel

The Atwood Hotel
Ranked #124 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 22 May 2016

We only stayed one night and it seemed pretty clean. But... they were lacking some basics. There was no hair dryer in the room, which was surprising to me. What hotel or motel nowadays doesn't have a hair dryer? They said they ran out of them and might be able to get one in the morning, but that was too late for me. Also no ice bucket in the room which was strange. Free wifi was good though. I'm not sure if this applies to all rooms... but the one we stayed in had windows on both sides which made it EXTREMELY bright at like 6 am. No black out blinds. This was a major downside for me because I have a hard time sleeping in bright light so I would not return. It was okay for one night I guess, but I would still pick a different hotel next time. Was definitely not worth the price paid.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
frankf541, General Manager at The Atwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2016

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review us. It seems like you stayed with us a few weeks ago. We recently opened the hotel and a few rooms did not have black out curtains at that time. All rooms have black out curtains now and we are in the process of installing hair dryers in all rooms. In the meantime we have hair dryers available at the desk. I am sorry for any inconvenience this caused you and I hope you will give us a try again in the future.

Reviewed 17 May 2016 via mobile

First night our experience here was fairly decent. The rooms were not to clean and the hotel did not provide baby cribs. Second night maid did not come and clean room or replace towels. The room was left a mess. I called the front desk and asked if I could please have my room cleaned even left the room for an hour and a half so my family of 4 wouldn't disturbed the maid while she cleaned but the room never got cleaned. call front desk again and they were not helpful and said there was not they could do about it. Overall experience was horrible. Will never return.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2016 via mobile

The hotel staff was polite and accommodating to our early arrival. We asked for a quiet room and they gave us one on the far side of the hotel. Even though the hotel is right off of the highway, we couldn't hear any noise.

We stayed in a room with two queens. The room had a huge flat screen TV. The beds and pillows were VERY comfortable. The air conditioner was quiet and cooled the room down nicely. The shower was easy to use and they had hot water. We missed breakfast in the morning but they still had coffee. Overall, a great stay for under $70!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
frankf541, General Manager at The Atwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2016

Thank you very much. We recently purchased the property and we really have put our heart and soul into making it an affordable option that offers clean, well maintained facilities and superior customer service. I hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 12 May 2016 via mobile

The Hotel Was Very Clean And close to Balboa park and downtown. There was a Mexican restaurant within walking distance as well as the Waffle spot for breakfast. Very close to the freeway. One would think that would be bad but it actually sounded just like my sound machine which blocks other noise. Very, very friendly staff. Nice pool and pool area. Again $70. For a room with two queen beds is very good for San Diego.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
frankf541, General Manager at The Atwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2016

We know you have many choices. Our goal is to offer clean, affordable accommodations and superior customer service. I am glad we meet your expectations.

Reviewed 11 May 2016

1st the not-so-good:
Cleaning staff did not replace the used towels, mat, and wash cloths.
No carafe in the coffee-maker. Getting it from the breakfast room was not convenient.
Wash basin - though nice-looking - is too tall. I'm 5'3" and had to stand on my toes to wash my face.
Wifi bandwidth definitely needs to be increased.

The good:
VERY comfortable beds! I slept better than a baby. I read complaints on here about "noise" but if it was around us, we slept right through it.
Toilet and shower works great.
Cool-looking modern look to the room.
Hot tub on site, although I did not get to use it.
Rooms are spacious.
Very nice staff at the front desk.

This new motel is still in progress, and I think it will be a great value after the growing pains. I would go back.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
frankf541, General Manager at The Atwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2016

Thank you very much for staying with us. We are a newly opened hotel and your feedback will help us tremendously. We also appreciate your kind words.