“Looks like a great place, but service and the food was average to me.”

Tajima Japanese Restaurant #2
Ranked #901 of 5,266 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 20 June 2017

Came in around 21:45ish (9:45pm). We quickly got a seat for five of us. I got unlucky and sat on the edge of the table. As for the order, I got the Tajima ramen with chicken and thin noodles. Out of the five of us, my food came out first.
I wanted to wait for my friends order, but it took another 7-10 minutes so I got started eating. The ramen I had was okay. I can say everything tasted fine on that ramen except for the 2 pieces of chicken. It just was a bit too salty for my taste. One of my friends was disappointed in the portion of the order that he got. He got some fried rice and it was only about the size of a small bowl. He was not full.
As for the service, I think it was average. I can not recall the server (on the receipt it says Carrie) smiling once, I felt she either had a bad day (if that is the case, I hope next time she smiles) or did not enjoy herself working there. The service is slow near closing hour. The server wasn't really around to check on us except maybe once to refill the water. So the service is average to me.
At the end, we noticed that there was a charge on an item that we never received on the receipt. We were able to get it taken off after flagging down our server. However, they were generous to give it to us for free, but it is probably because it was 22:30 (10:30pm) which is their closing time. I felt they gave it to us because it would be a waste if they threw it away. Still, the service is average. Maybe everyone just wants to go home on a Monday night.
Overall though, it is an okay place. Nothing was out of the ordinary for me, but my friend was too generous so he tipped 2 dollars more than what we all wanted to tip. I would try to avoid coming an hour before closing as service just becomes average. Maybe next time will be better for me. That we shall see.

Reviewed 28 April 2017

Been to a lot of Japanese restaurants, some have poor quality food, others have 5 star prices but 4 star quality. Traditionally Japanese cuisine is not strong in flavour but clean and healthy with low fat and great presentation. This restaurant comes right in the middle. The quality of food is slightly above average and the taste reflects the same. Presentation is not pretentious but more like home cooking. That is why I termed it 'honest food'. It was satisfying without glamour. Service was swift and friendly and is a great place for family dinning as well as with friends. The atmosphere is easy and comfortable and we all left with satisfied tummies. Will visit again

1  Thank 165Doc
Reviewed 17 December 2016 via mobile

Great service fast and yummy sushi! Cozy atmosphere and gets busy because it's good and service is quick. Only problem is parking.

Reviewed 3 October 2016 via mobile

If I have something to say about this place, I believe service needs more polishing. Our waitress didn't listen to our order, she kept bringing us the wrong order. We ordered chicken, she gave us pork. I ordered no ice on my water and she brought me water with ice. Otherwise, food is ok. I just don't think I'll come back anytime soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2016

We wanted ramen for lunch so we went to Tajima. It is busy as usual so we waited about 10 minutes. We had the Tajima and the spicy seasame ramen. They were all very good. We like the wide noodles as it has more texture. We also had good takoyaki and gyoza. Service was fine and food was good. Definitely going back again.