“Eat at the bar, avoid the wait”

Tajima Japanese Restaurant #2
Ranked #917 of 5,017 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

We arrived on a busy Saturday night and instead of waiting 25-30 minutes we opted for bar seating where you can order from the full menu. We took advantage of the happy hour Sapporo on tap, but honestly the beer tasted a bit watered down. We started with the cold tofu appetizer which was ok, it tastes better when the ginger, onion and Bonito flakes are mixed together rather than separately (see photo), otherwise this is a classic hot-weather tofu dish. We also ordered the potato appetizer which is super heavy so beware... basically double fried French fries with bacon-like meat and mayo. We tried one of the more expensive poke rolls, and it was good but not much poke... the seaweed on top was a nice touch though. For the main course we had spicy chicken ramen and the fish udon... not the best but ok. Service was great of everything... all the people were super friendly and fast

Reviewed 11 July 2017

I have been hearing about this place and friends have recommended it so I thought I would give it a try. Had the poke appetizer. The fish was very good as was the salad, however too much dressing at the bottom and it was very salty which ruined it. Had a sushi roll, average. Tried the pork belly ramen which was also average. The pork was delicious, the soup was good but nothing amazing. Service was also average, server not very friendly.

Reviewed 20 June 2017

Came in around 21:45ish (9:45pm). We quickly got a seat for five of us. I got unlucky and sat on the edge of the table. As for the order, I got the Tajima ramen with chicken and thin noodles. Out of the five of us, my food came out first.
I wanted to wait for my friends order, but it took another 7-10 minutes so I got started eating. The ramen I had was okay. I can say everything tasted fine on that ramen except for the 2 pieces of chicken. It just was a bit too salty for my taste. One of my friends was disappointed in the portion of the order that he got. He got some fried rice and it was only about the size of a small bowl. He was not full.
As for the service, I think it was average. I can not recall the server (on the receipt it says Carrie) smiling once, I felt she either had a bad day (if that is the case, I hope next time she smiles) or did not enjoy herself working there. The service is slow near closing hour. The server wasn't really around to check on us except maybe once to refill the water. So the service is average to me.
At the end, we noticed that there was a charge on an item that we never received on the receipt. We were able to get it taken off after flagging down our server. However, they were generous to give it to us for free, but it is probably because it was 22:30 (10:30pm) which is their closing time. I felt they gave it to us because it would be a waste if they threw it away. Still, the service is average. Maybe everyone just wants to go home on a Monday night.
Overall though, it is an okay place. Nothing was out of the ordinary for me, but my friend was too generous so he tipped 2 dollars more than what we all wanted to tip. I would try to avoid coming an hour before closing as service just becomes average. Maybe next time will be better for me. That we shall see.

Reviewed 28 April 2017

Been to a lot of Japanese restaurants, some have poor quality food, others have 5 star prices but 4 star quality. Traditionally Japanese cuisine is not strong in flavour but clean and healthy with low fat and great presentation. This restaurant comes right in the middle. The quality of food is slightly above average and the taste reflects the same. Presentation is not pretentious but more like home cooking. That is why I termed it 'honest food'. It was satisfying without glamour. Service was swift and friendly and is a great place for family dinning as well as with friends. The atmosphere is easy and comfortable and we all left with satisfied tummies. Will visit again

1  Thank 165Doc
Reviewed 17 December 2016 via mobile

Great service fast and yummy sushi! Cozy atmosphere and gets busy because it's good and service is quick. Only problem is parking.