“What a tourist trap !”

Pacific Terrace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 29 May 2013

My wife and me, both close to 50 years old and from Europe, was looking for one of the most exclusive hotels in San Diego for a 3 nights stay. We are quite used to luxury, both at home and when we are travelling, so we can easily see when something not is as good as we're told it should be.
But Pacific Terrace hotel is close to the biggest disapointments we have ever experienced - simply because that the price. the web site information and the truth doesn't match. This is a hotel that may be was great when it was new, but nothing seems to have been done since then - and that is very visible. Elevators looked as they not had been cleaned for a long while, real dirty sun beds, all over the place small details that tells you that no one in charge of this hotel really cares about the finish of everything. All together this makes this hotel the most overpriced I've been to - and believe me - I've been to many hotels all over the world the last 20 years.

Of course - the hotel have a 72 hours cancellation policy, so checking out after the first night is impossible. I'm quite sure I know why they need to have this policy...

I have never written a hotel review before, but this experience just forced me to tell everyone looking for a luxury hotel to look somewhere else. Honestly - if someone rates this as a luxury hotel, they have never seen one before

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Valueformoney2013
PTHSanDiego, Manager at Pacific Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Dear valueformoney2013,
We appreciate your business and thank you for providing some excellent customer feedback. I am sorry to hear your stay was not as expected and thank you for sharing your concerns. Our team takes constructive criticism well and we are always up for the task of looking for ways to exceed our guest’s expectations. I assure you, your experience was not typical of the high cleanliness and service standards that we pride ourselves on and we will use your valuable comments as a challenge for our team and our continuous improvement efforts. Thank you again for your business and for allowing us the opportunity to respond to your concerns.
Director of Guest Services

Write a ReviewReviews (2,101)

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Pacific Terrace is a small hotel located right on Pacific Beach. Have stayed there twice with several years between and it is still great. The desk person gave us perfect restaurant ideas and the car service was prompt and well worth using if you don't know the city and the traffic. Lots to do in the area for all ages. The boardwalk all along the ocean front is at your doorstep. No restaurant in the hotel, but MANY within walking distance and they have a great breakfast in the hotel so no worries early morning. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
PTHSanDiego, Manager at Pacific Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Dear SJ O,
It was great to have you back again and I am happy to hear you found all the great elements, still the same after many years. I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast and that we were able to help with the town car and the restaurants. We hope to see you again and hopefully sooner than a few years. Thanks for a great review.

Reviewed 25 May 2013

My family loved this hotel. The service was great. The view of the ocean was spectacular. Because all the public parking is 1/2 mile south of the hotel on the other side of a pier, most of the crowds stay south. We almost felt like this was a private beach.

But if you are a family, there are a couple charges not listed in the price per night that you should be aware of. First, parking is $22 per night. It is almost impossible to find parking outside the hotel, so plan on paying this. Next, and most important to families, all quoted prices are for double occupancy, EVEN the larger suites. For my family of 5 this was over $47 per night more than the already pricey charge for the suite. I normally get larger suits at hotels specifically because they accommodate my 3 kids and this is the first time I have ever seen a suite with double occupancy??????

Again, this is a great place to stay. But, if you are traveling with your family be sure to factor in the extra $70 a night.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Bryan M
PTHSanDiego, Manager at Pacific Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Bryan,
Thanks for taking a quick minute to speak with me and I am glad to hear you and your family enjoyed the hotel and the Pacific Beach area. I hope I clarified everything with the occupancy tax. The sales tax on a room charge for occupying a hotel room is called occupancy tax. Hotel occupancy is the right to use a room in a hotel and it is taxable. The hotel does not take a single penny of this. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

The acid test for me is whether I choose the same hotel again if I were returning to the area and in the case of the Pacific Terrace, I'm not sure I would. The location is great, with just a path between the hotel and the beach; there are several cafés and restaurants within walking distance. Our room was a decent size and comfortable (they even provided a step for getting into and out of the beds, which are quite high) but a bit dark; this is not helped by the unremitting brown colour scheme throughout the hotel. We had a nice balcony overlooking the sea but when we were there in early May it was not warm enough to sit on it. A big problem is the breakfasts which are a bit eccentric and definitely up to the standard one expects from a hotel like this. Perhaps we should have tried the room service breakfast, which comes from a café down the road!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ianewestt
PTHSanDiego, Manager at Pacific Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2013

Dear ianewestt,
We are glad to hear you enjoyed the location and all that Pacific Beach has to offer. Thank you for your feedback regarding breakfast and the room décor. We are consistently looking for ways to improve and enhance our guest's experience and your comments will certainly assist us in future decisions. Thank you again and if your travels bring you back to San Diego and you would be willing to give us another chance, please contact us directly.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Pacific Terrace is located between La Jolla and San Diego. It really is in Pacific Beach or PB as the locals call it. You can watch the surfers all day long and I particularly like the very long "boardwalk" even though it is cement right along the beach. I love hearing the sound of the waves at night which makes that hotel fantastic. The rooms are really cozy and the bed was comfy. The staff was very nice as well. When I drove to the hotel, I was a bit skeptical of the area but the hotel was great in spite of the neighborhood. PB is considered by some as a 'party town'. I thought it was fine.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Hello in London!
Thanks for staying with us in March and for sharing your experience. It's great to hear you found the bed to be comfortable, hopefully that means you slept well. We actually get many guests wanting to purchase the mattresses. I am glad you enjoyed the boardwalk, I think it is perfect for taking a morning or evening walk. We can't wait for your return and look forward to welcoming you back.