“Ramaki Japanese Restaurant”

Ai Sushi & Teriyaki
Ranked #2,979 of 4,873 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 3 September 2016 via mobile

Let me start this review by saying that my first time here, I wasn't even hungry. I was accompanying my husband and brother for dinner, and told them to choose a place because I just didn't care. My brother chose Ramaki because of a coupon we'd gotten in the mail (decent enough reason, right?)

It's an easy walk to Ramaki from our place, and they weren't very busy when we got there late one Friday night. We were greeted and shown to a table, then provided with menus.

Now, remember how I said I wasn't hungry? I had just come from a team building event at East Village Tavern & Bowl, where we'd spent 3 hours eating, drinking and bowling. My belly was full of bread, fries and beer, and the last thing I was thinking about was more food.

And yet...the Poke Bar was calling to me. I resisted at first - who wants to eat to the point of feeling sick? - but it was a futile endeavor. By the time the waitress came to get our orders, I'd decided to get a medium poke bowl.

The pain of an overly full belly is temporary, right?

In this case, it was so worth it. She brought the build-your-own-poke-bowl sheet over to our table and walked me through the options. Because I chose the medium (small, medium and large options are available), I was going to get three scoops of poke. So, I went with the half and half base (half rice, half salad), got two scoops of spicy tuna and one scoop of salmon, then proceeded to add in almost every topping they had on offer.

My husband, meanwhile, ordered the mini chicken katsu, while my brother ordered gyoza, agedashi tofu, a spicy tuna roll, and the sushi and sashimi combo. Then, because we clearly did not have enough food for three people, he produced the aforementioned coupon, and asked for our free California roll.

Oink

The food is fantastic. I initially thought that I got full off of the medium bowl because I really wasn't that hungry to start. But subsequent visits have convinced me that no, the medium is just really filling. And delicious! That first bowl was a delightful mix of rice, seaweed salad, regular salad, spicy mayo and a wonderful array of fresh fish. My second time ordering the bowl, I got three different fish options, and again - so yummy!

My husband and brother both really enjoyed their dishes (and my brother enjoyed my poke bowl, as well, since I tapped out pretty early on).

Definitely one of my newer favorite restaurants, and I'm happy that they're both so close and offer delivery (just in case we're too lazy to walk one day). I'm looking forward to our next visit!

Reviewed 24 October 2015 via mobile

A very pleasant surprise. My food was outstanding and the price was terrific. I had two orders of their sashimi combo (2 pieces of sashimi each of 4 fish) for $9 each. The fish was as tender and flavorful as any sushi I've ever had. Then I had the garlic albacore roll. Unique and delicious. A bottle of cold sake and the total for dinner was less than $40 before the tip. I'd definitely go back. They also have something called the Poke bowl which is a salad or rice dish that you get to pick what goes in it. I didn't try it, but it looked very good. Not sure how to get Tripadvisor to put this review under the restaurant's new name.

Reviewed 18 September 2015

It takes allot to write a review like this like but buyer and restaurant patron beware!
What I do know is that they recently changed management and the service is less than sub-par if that is possible. I spoke to the same lunchtime manager, Jasmine who essentially accused the two people picking up the call-in order from eating a particular item on the way back to the office...incredibly insulting
They have a sushi special that is printed with specific items...First time we ordered 2 parts of the meal were missing - Although Jasmine didn't believe us she agreed to replace the meal - They are very busy at lunchtime since it's a small place. About a month later we call to replace the order and add an additional item - She was sure to say the additional item was to be paid for...Of course- Seriously she had to say that!
We get back to the office and the main entree item was missing and they had charged for the higher priced wrong order and gave the lower priced item complimentary. Called Jasmine back and as noted above, she accused the office folks picking up the order of essentially lying..."don't know what happened on the way back to the office but I saw the chicken" I guess they do not need the business...Too bad since the sushi is good but their business practices leave allot to be desired.

Reviewed 28 August 2015 via mobile

Happened to stop by during lunch time. The order line was quite a long but worth waiting. The popular chicken teriyaki was fresh, tasty and reasonably priced. Definitely coming back to try different menu next time.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Located in the financial district of downtown San Diego, Ai Sushi is a popular spot for the local lunch crowd. Recently, they expanded their hours until 9:00 p.m., which was good news to those overnight travelers like me and to overtime workers who are too tired to cook dinner.

This is the type of restaurant where you order at the counter and then your food is brought to your table. The menu features a nice selection of sushi rolls in addition to other Japanese favorites as teriyaki, tempura, katsu, yakisoba and curry rice. They also serve both udon and soba noodles.

The food was tasty (although as a Japanese-American I could’ve done without the teriyaki sauce on my rice), the service was friendly, and the prices were fair. This restaurant definitely warrants a second visit from me!