“omakase”

Sushi Tadokoro
Ranked #276 of 4,870 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Best Traditional Japanese sushi in San Diego. Edomae style.
Reviewed 30 March 2016

We have been going to the same restaurant for years and decided we needed a change. Actually, we didnʻt look far before finding a note about this sushi restaurant. We made reservations and were seated right away without incident. Most people coming in had reservations; those who didnʻt were admonished that they would need to eat and leave within a certain amount of time. If you donʻt order the omakase, then this is entirely possible. The omakase was fantastic and plenty of food. Since it varies, itʻs not worth describing but you can see pictures on Foodspotting. It includes a dessert of a scoop of ice cream - ours was the lychee from their regular menu. It was fantastic. We also ordered the special dessert which was a red bean like soup and mochi served with a scoop of green tea ice cream. That was also really good. We havenʻt done an omakse in a while and were really happy with this one. Delicious.

Reviewed 26 March 2016

I went to Sushi Tadokoro today. I had their nigiri sushi lunch and thought that I was in Japan. This is one of the best locations in San Diego for sushi. I had their mushroom salad to start and recommend it as a starter. If you enjoy sushi, you must try Sushi Tadokoro.

Reviewed 22 March 2016 via mobile

We've been on vacation in San Diego and dying for sushi. We tried Sushi Tadokoro on Saturday night and because it was so fantastic we decided to come again on Monday, our last night in SD. Well, it turned out even better than before, which is really saying a lot. The fish was incredibly fresh and the rice just perfect. Selections of sake were good and not overwhelming in choices. Kudos to the owner chef, Takeaki Tadokoro, who made our dinner a feast for the eyes as well as the palate.

Reviewed 9 March 2016

I really LOVE the omakase style of sushi. Allowing the chef to choose what he feels is the best has always been a great experience and the items presented have always been outside of my comfort zone. I have been to Sushi Tadokoro twice a year apart. My meal tonight was as good as I remember it last time. Great variety and great fresh sushi. I only wish I visited San Diego more frequently so that I could eat at this amazing place more often!

Reviewed 12 February 2016

Recently my wife, my just short of 100 year old mother-in-law and I were enjoying a wonderful evening of good sushi and conversation. We were enjoying the moment so much I even bought a round of beer for each of the sushi chefs. Good time for all except when the most unbelievable thing happened. Near the end, after we had paid the bill, and minutes from leaving we were asked to “please hurry and leave; we need the table”. Wow I was truly shocked! This has absolutely never happened to me anywhere in the U.S. or, for that matter, in any of the over 40 countries I have visited. Needless to say the evening went from great joy to utter disaster. Never have I experienced this rude behavior. What actually makes the story worse was that we had to wait 20 minutes past our reservation time to be seated and we had finished our meal in a reasonable amount of time. Now that I think back I realized they were always rushing us to order and eat. Not sure how you feel about this practice but when I spend over $200 in an expensive sushi house I think I’m entitled to enjoy my meal without being pushed out the door. I will NEVER return to this establishment but if you do go beware – eat and drink quickly or you will be asked to leave

4  Thank socal7654