“Enjoyed our cappuccinos one day so we returned for breakfast the next”
Review of Matisse Bistro

Matisse Bistro
Ranked #1,689 of 5,274 Restaurants in San Diego
Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

While doing our city walk about on our mini-vacation, we felt like a cappuccino and there was Matisse Bistro. Cappuccinos and service were excellent. Very attractive bistro and great location for the commuter or us walk about tourists. We noticed the breakfast menu and pastries on the shelf and decided to return for breakfast before we catch the train the next morning for our return north to home.

Breakfast sandwiches were excellent and the cappuccinos were still excellent. Service was friendly and professional. They have a wine bar so it could be an excellent place for a wine in the afternoon. We expect to return the next time we are in San Diego.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

I met a friend early in the afternoon at the Amtrak Station in downtown San Diego (the historical Santa Fe Station at the foot of Broadway). Coming from Los Angeles, he was hungry, so we went across the street to Matisse Bistro. You order at the counter, and they bring your food to you. My veg quiche was fresh and well-made--most enjoyable. My guest's chicken Gouda panini proved equally satisfying, although the tired, pedestrian green salads that accompanied these entrees left much to be desired.

Reviewed 1 February 2017

I work close to Matisse. The food is reasonably priced and really good. Many times when we are trying to figure out where to go for lunch, we end up at Matisse. There is indoor/outdoor seating. During the summer, it's nice to sit out on the patio. Service is fast and the people who work there are friendly and helpful. They used to be open for happy hour, but no longer are. I stop there each morning for my daily latte.

Reviewed 4 May 2016

Best deal downtown when you get and sandwich and soup or salad for under $10. Food is great, service is friendly and the ambiance is airy with indoor and outdoor seating. A favorite lunch spot for our office!

Reviewed 16 March 2016 via mobile

I stopped at the Matisse Bistro on my way to the USS Midway. I had a quick and nice lunch there. I had the Matisse Panini made with focaccia bread, chicken, lettuce, eggs, tomatoes, and mayo. The food was good but in comparison to the myriad of great restaurants in town, it was not exceptional. But, if like me you are en route to the seaport attractions and are hungry, this is a nice place to stop.