Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Pendry San Diego(San Diego)
  • Room Service
Hotel Z - A Staypineapple Hotel(San Diego)
2,191 results
All reviewswine hourpetco parkgaslamp districtjsix restaurantwine receptionconvention centerrooftop poolcomplimentary winemini barfree happy hourfourth floorthe gas lamp districtevery eveningrestaurants and barsvalet parkingper nightbaseball stadium
Reviewed 20 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights and had no complaints. The room was quiet and comfortable, housekeeping did a good job. There was a nice pool area on the 4th floor. Good location near the Gaslamp District and conference center. I would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank Sandyharris
Eric M, Director of Sales at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

We definitely want you back with us again :) I enjoyed reading your review, so thanks so much for the nice feedback.

Reviewed 19 October 2012

Very nice, classy boutique hotel, located very conveniently for walking around the gaslamp quarter. The room was beautiful, very big and luxurious with a deep hot tub. Although I could have done without the loud leopard-print bathrobes that were provided for our use. I would suggest not getting a room on the same floor as the pool if you don't like later evening noise, and also I nearly slipped and fell by the elevators since people drip water everywhere going in and out and I was wearing flipflops with poor traction.

The concierge was very helpful when it came to directions, finding restaurants, and getting reservations, and she was also able to get us a free appetizer at Oceanaire when we mentioned her name.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room on a higher floor, away from the pool and the pet-friendly floor.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the great review, and for staying at Solamar. Hopefully we get another chance to have you here with us in the future. The leopard print robes are part of Kimpton's quirkiness as a Hotel company, and we get many compliments on them... although I agree they might not fit everyone's tastes. Thanks again for your feedback and I'm thrilled you enjoyed the Hotel.

Reviewed 16 October 2012

Very nice hotel. Nice organic, green and dog friendly!! Didn't care too much for mattress and pillows were too small!! Had breakfast at the restaurant and was very good!! Complimentary coffee in hotel was organic and awesome!! Nice pool area but need more help and certainly didn't appreciate the 21 percent gratuity!! Had a 20 percent coupon and then they added that gratuity!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Eric M, Director of Sales at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Thank you for your stay and for your nice comments. We certainly attempt to get high quality mattresses in the guestrooms, although we do understand everyone's sleep preferences are different. All the mattresses are no old than two years old, so they are still in great condition.

Hope we see you again when your travels return you to San Diego.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

This hotel is perfect for touring the Gas Lamp Quarter and a very short walk to Petco Park. Baseball is an experience not to be missed. Hotel absolutely fine. We had a quiet room, perfect for our short stay. Food by the pool spot on and all staff helpful and friendly. Pool fine for a central hotel location. Reasonable charge to extend room and wine hour is a very lovely touch! Would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants a comfortable stay whilst discovering San Diego!

Room Tip: Must admit - would not have liked a pool side room as could imagine it is quite noisy!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your great review. I'm glad you chose Solamar as your hotel of choice in San Diego. We do love our location too, as it's so close to so many activities in the East Village and Gaslamp areas of the city. The noise around the pool area in not too bad at all actually, as we have our house music playing at low levels to allow conversation and socializing. It's more of a Lounge setting. I hope you return to Solamar on your next trip to San Diego.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

I have to say I was expecting more based on the star rating and other reviews. While I couldn't fault the staff in any way, it just wasn't as good as I'd expected. It may be that it's best suited to younger people (I'm 42). Our initial room had a pool view but that was accompanied by intrusive music through the day and then louder into the night. The rooms didn't seem to be well sound-proofed as we could hear entire conversations from the bloke in the next room (that I'd really rather not have heard!). The swimming pool is more of a strip of water - designed for lounging around not swimming.

Whenever we've been to San Diego before, every hotel has had a bedroom and a sitting/TV area. Solamar was just a fairly small, standard room. Although modern it was quite dull. The shower in the bathroom was rubbish and the decoration was very tired.

We moved room after a couple of nights, because of the noise from the pool/bar area. The top floor was much quieter, but the bathroom was still poor.

Also, you don't get any kind of tea/coffee making facilities in the room. It was only when I asked that one was brought to the room.

The plus side is the fabulous restaurant, where the food and staff were excellent. Local produce, cooked in inventive, delicious ways and a good range of cocktails too!

Other plus is that it's right near Petco Park which means very easy to get to the baseball games - which I loved so much we went three times.

I've previously stayed in Best Western (Pacific Beach) and Embassy Suites (near Seaport) and both, although dated from a decor viewpoint, were far better hotels in terms of space, ambience and relaxation.

If you are going to SD to party, have fun, sun bathe by the bar and drink then you will probably really like this hotel and it is in Gas Lamp, which is a vibrant area. Just down to what you are after I guess, and this didn't suit us.

Room Tip: Top floor away from the pool if you don't want other people's choice of music pounding in your ears!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IzzyJ

Hi IzzyJ, thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post a review. I think you summarized it best at the end of your review stating that it really depends what a guest is after in term of scene. While Solamar and the Gaslamp are fun, energetic, and vibrant.... it certainly is not the scene of the Pacific Beach area or even Seaport Village area. It does truly depend on the vibe each guest is looking for, as the areas are certainly different.

I do appreciate your stay and your review. Thank you again