2,257 results
All reviews petco park wine hour gaslamp district jsix restaurant wine reception convention center pool area mini bar free happy hour fourth floor the gas lamp district rooftop bar every evening restaurants and bars overnight parking valet parking per night
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Other reviews tout the amenities and overall cleanliness, comfort, trendiness and relative quiet as well as great location of the Hotel Solamar. Here’s some wrinkles during a two-night stay in mid-August:
.The so-called free internet service available to Kimpton In Touch guests never worked for us but we didn't pursue it after two inquiries with the front desk.
.We stayed only two nights and on the second day, our room was still not "made up" at 2 pm which I thought was rather late so I had to call the front desk. In the hallway, housekeeping staff seemed to imply to me that their workload had recently increased. (Sounds like a cost-cutting move on the part of management.) Guests shouldn’t have to wait until mid-afternoon when they return to the room to work or relax/nap to have housekeeping come in while using the room.
.Parking is advertised on the website as $32 but is posted at the hotel entry as $35. (Either way, it’s ridiculously overpriced!) The front desk claimed the rate changed either 2 or 3 months ago and that it has been updated on the website but remembering that I read it there only a month ago or less, I asked them to honor the prior advertised price. (Because the internet service didn’t work for us, I couldn’t check it during our trip). I had no less than four conversations with different front desk staff the first night and next morning before ascertaining that the parking staff (apparently, a separately-run business) approved the discount. Talking to so many different people was a major irritant -- couldn't the first person get the answer immediately? Now that we’re home, I see that the website price is still $32 (on 8/20) – despite their claims that the increased price had been posted – but if Kimpton reads these reviews, it will get changed soon!
.The bathroom is wonderful except the sink – a trendy design that causes water to splash everywhere because it’s set so high.
.The rooftop pool is small (and pretty chilly) with limited seating but we got lucky on a weekday and had a cabana to ourselves. In three hours time, staff never once walked around to pick up towels left behind on chaises that guests had left unoccupied for hours, which means late-comers think all lounges are taken. Staff should make sure guests aren't reserving chairs for long blocks of time.
.When we checked out and were asked about our stay, I said “there were a few wrinkles” but she never asked what they were or if I was ultimately satisfied with my stay.
We would recommend this hotel but think management has some work to do.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank sbjjill
Reviewed 19 August 2009

We went this July for a bachelorette party. I reserved the room months in advace and they still messed up on our attached room to the connecting suite we had to call down all morning to ask when it would be ready they had to put us in another room down the hall since they rented our room out by mistake, then they kicked us out of our cabana that we were in first. They told us it was already reserved but we asked and they said it was first come first serve. They did send over a round of drinks for the inconvience but still it was really rude and embarresing for us to gather up our belongings and have to move. The only nice person in this hotel was Rauly Romero he took good care of our large party. Tell me why they put us next to a family when i specificly told them its a bachelorette party, expect us to be a little loud. They called us numerous times to quite down. We had a great time in San Diego but a bad experience with this Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2009

Although we booked this hotel through an amazing travelzoo promotion (a great hotel rate and a bottle of wine), when I checked in, we were treated as if we were paying full-price (which is very steep). The hotel is in a perfectly central location within the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego - walking distance to TONS of bars, clubs, restaurants and shops, along with Petco Park. The pool area is beautiful and very posh with cabanas, a bar and flat screens, all overlooking the San Deigo skyline. A great place for a staycation with your loved one or family!

Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2009

This hotel is adjacent to everything you would want to see in San Diego and particularly to the gaslamp district for eating. The entrance is superb and the decor throughout the hotel is modern and striking. Our room was fantastic; there is a good pool area although better for drinking than lying out in the sun and the use of loud cellphones was a bind; it should be restricted. Reception was the least of it; the bellboy was distinctly surprised that we wanted him to take cases to our room and the reception staff rarely look up to greet you as you pass. Others in the hotel were a credit. Every afternoon there is a free drinks party; good company and good wine.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2009

I got the hotel through Hotwire for a very good price ($85/night) and was pleasantly suprised. Hotel staff was very helpful and the room was clean, modern, and well-maintained. Location is perfect (very close to Petco Park, in Gaslamp). Some minor things: 1) the sink looks nice, but splashes all over the place 2) there is a rooftop club across the street that is super loud at night (i think only on the weekends) -- get a room that doesn't face the street 3) parking is mandatory valet and pretty expensive (you can park across the street for cheaper; only drawback is that you can't get your car from 12pm to 7am... or something like that).

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business