“So Sad....Kiyo's is now closed........”

Kiyo's Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #1,837 of 5,145 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I am back in San Diego Aug 30, 2014 and headed to get some excellent Japanese food from Kiyo's. Unfortunately, the restaurant has now closed.

I will miss this gem of the Gas Light District.

1  Thank Richard B

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Kiyo's has very authentic and very good Japanese foods. Lunch prices are very reasonable. The other restaurants in the Gas Lamp districts are quite pricey. Kiyo's is reasonable.

3  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We have been going to Kiyos restaurant since the 90's. Although we live on the East Coast we have family in San Diego and come out often. We always make a point of going to eat at Kiyos. Kiyo usually goes to the fish market twice/day to select the freshest fish he can find. We always sit at the sushi bar and just let him bring us whatever he feels like. I usually ask him to make me at least 1 roll because he is so creative with mixing his flavors and textures. If you're looking for 30 different roll combinations with sauces then this is not the place for you. But, if you want quality, fresh, sushi that is traditional Japanese then this is your destination. We love it here!

1  Thank gsinha
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Not horribly expensive and the food is great. Service is wonderful. Nice ambiance--quiet, no TVs. Terrific place to go with a group of friends as it's quiet enough that you can actually converse (imagine that--eating and conversing rather than watching TV). The sushi is delicious and there are other choices for the non-sushi eaters. Portions are large. Conveniently located close to the Convention Center. I've been there several times--always during ComicCon--and never been disappointed.

1  Thank Jill P
Reviewed 17 July 2012

After reading everyone's reviews I was expecting something a little better than what I received. I didn't order anything extra special... the edamame came out ice cold. The spicy tuna roll was just like any other and the hand roll I had was average as well. The part that was really annoying was that I asked for my bill and waited 10 minutes before I got up myself and went to the waitress. She then took my card and it took her another ten minutes to run it through the machine. Maybe they aren't used to having a few customers on a Monday evening but the service was very slow (and there is only one of me to serve) and waiting to pay my bill for 20 minutes is ridiculous. I'm not an impatient person, but 20 minutes is too much. I wouldn't go back.

1  Thank AnnaGS26