“Worth a whole day”

Ranked #1 of 446 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The USS Midway Museum is San Diego’s newest visitor attraction, this real naval aircraft carrier offers a once in a lifetime opportunity for everyone. Guests of all ages can enjoy a self-guided audio tour featuring 60 exhibits highlighting this “city at sea” and 25 restored aircrafts. Explore galleys, officer’s country and sleeping quarters of a 69,000 ton ship, naturally located in Navy Town USA, a visit to the Midway is uniquely San Diego!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 19 February 2012

A lot to see. Exciting, interesting, spectacular... allow the whole day, whether you have kids or not, you will enjoy it.
The people who handle the tours and explanation are great!
People at the shop are not.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

this was interesting and is on a massive scale but easy to get lost in, after 2 hours was enough.

2  Thank geordiegirl19
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Our visit to the Midway happened on their busiest weekend of the year and yet the very enthusiastic volunteer docents kept things very interesting and moving smoothly. Most of our guides had direct experience on a military vessel and their insider insights gave us a real feel What happens on an aircraft carrier and how it works.

The deck houses many historic aircraft and the ship is anchored in San Diego Harbour with great views of San Diego and the Pacific. Visitors can operate flight simulators on one deck for an additional fee. There's also a canteen where meal and snacks are available. Allow at least two hours for a complete tour. There are a few areas without handicapped access, and some fairly steep stairs to areas within the ship.
Our group aged from teens through retired thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

My conference was over and I had all day friday to see the sites of downtown San Diego. I decided I was going to see the USS Midway. I read online about February being Museum month and you could get a pass at Macy's for 50% off most museums in San Diego so I picked that up earlier in the week. I got to the Midway at 10am when it opened and paid my half price ticket and preceeded to tour the ship for the next 2 hours. Make sure you take the Island tour. it is guided by retired navy gentlemen. The rest of the tour is self guided, but they have an audio system for you to use and return. I didn't get that, but wish I had. The flight deck was covered with all types of carrier planes and helicoptors for you to see also. I would recommend this experience. It was facinating.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

As a US Navy veteran, I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to show my wife what shipboard life was like 50 years ago.

The audio tour is well constructed and full of interesting facts. There are plenty of docents throughout the ship who can answer any question. Get there early before the line to visit the flight bridge get too lengthy.

I actually found a photo of a former neighbor who was an aviator aboard the Midway.

This was the highlight of our vacation in San Diego.