“Magnificent” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
“Magnificent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed 7 nights at the Grand Del Mar for our honeymoon. I researched places to go for months!! I wanted it to be perfect. Boy did I make the right choice. This place is awesome!! The room is great!! The food is wonderful and the staff are the nicest!!! We plan on coming back every year for our anniversary. You will NOT find a nicer place to stay while in California.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nancy121718

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Korean first
tucson,az
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

This was our first but not last visit to this elegant, luxury resort. From the moment we arrived it felt as if we had been transported to nirvana. The staff is not only courteous and well informed, but also very gracious. The entire property exudes class and graciousness.

We had a winter package and for all of the amenities, the price was very fair for such a resort.
We especially enjoyed having the courtesy car take us to restaurants in town at night. The concierge service was outstanding. I loved the underwater music in the relaxation pool!

Kudos to all the staff and management! This resort is first class all the way. It is so worth the splurge!

Room Tip: Rooms near the spa have lovely patios.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank durigirl1
Fairfax Station, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

We have stayed here a number of times and each time is a wonderful experience. The lobby and common areas are so beautiful and well maintained we hate to leave the resort. The rooms are lovely and housekeeping is excellent. The staff is always there with a smile and never forgets your name and if you need anything at all they seem to have it.....we loved the Amaya restaurant and breakfast is superb. Just a short drive out of the resort is the town of Del Mar which we have found some wonderful shops and many good restaurants. The drive to LaJolla is beautiful as well as so many other along the coast. This is one of our favorite trips and stops in California.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CCGrandma
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

This is a phenomenal hotel. As good or better than any in Italy. Service is impecable. I dont know how it could be better.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank stephen10023
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I spent 1 night with my family (7y/o, 5 y/o, and 1 y/o) and another friend's (2 y/o, and 1y/o) checking out this resort (for a potential site for a possible work retreat). I want to preface by saying that I have stayed in a number of other top notch resorts (Ojai Valley Inn and Spa, Ritz Carlton, JW Marriott, La Quinta Reosrt and Spa, etc.) and none can compare. I will try to break it down for you all...
Hotel and Checkin- This is a unique resort in that it is nestled in a gated community. I have never stayed here before and did not know anyone that has (much less heard of it). Upon driving up and valeting (pricey $30 per night), i was impressed to see a beautifully ornate lobby. Check in was a breeze. I requested a connecting room with the other family and that was quickly arranged. The receptionists actually greeted each of my children and offered them a toy from their treasure chest (never seen that before). He then walked us to the bellman and proceeded to lead us to the elevator. Very nice touch.
Rooms: The rooms were on the 2nd floor. Beautifully decorated (made me feel as if I was staying in a palace). The bathroom was large and contained the closet. The bathroom was so large that we were able to put the pack n' play in their for my baby to sleep in. Each room had an espresso machine, as well as complimentary bottled water.
Grounds: Immaculate. Very Very clean. Everything was in place. The pool area was very nice and even had soft white sand around the lounge chairs. They incorporated the golf course nicely and there were amazing views every where you look.
Food/bar: We tried the snack shop (same kitchen as Amaya) once and Amaya twice (Dinner and Breakfast). The food was amazing everytime. Amaya for dinner had a great selection of food. I was not disappointed with anything that I tasted. They also have a huge selection of wine and scotch (my favorite). The lobby bar was great and I had my first taste of Absinthe there. The best thing I had was the complimentary cookie (and bottle of milk) that was provided during the turn-down service. Absolutely wonderful
Golf: The course was in beautiful condition (even though it was at its prime condition). IT is pretty pricey but worth a shot if you are a golf fan. They included a fore caddie (my first experience with one) which made the experience wonderful. The practice facility was top notch (ProV-1 practice balls). Food/drink can be brought to you at anytime during your round. The course is private and closed to the public, thus the rounds are pretty fast pace and never crowded. Awesome golf experience.
Spa: My wife is a self-proclaimed spa connoisseur and proclaims this to be one of the greatest spas that she has ever been too. Well ahead of the highly rated Ojai Valley Inn and Spa and on par with the Montage (Laguna Hill). She couldn't stop talking about the facility and service.
Service: I have saved the best for last. The service is top notch. First class all around. I was expecting a snooty/snobby resort, but I could never have been more wrong. From the bellman to the waitress to the golf person to the cleaning lady, everyone was extremely polite and pleasant. Upon driving up, I initially laughed at the idea that this resort was "family friendly". I thought my family would be stared at and treated rudely, however, I could never have been more wrong. They bent over backwards to cater to my kids and family. They brought over a crib (with baby supplies) immediately. They found out it was my son's birthday and made him feel special the entire stay. They sent up a birthday dessert to the room. They gave him a gelato coupon (as well as one for each member of the family). He felt special the whole stay. There were also so many perks at this resort. I have also never been to a resort that offered 2 hrs of baby sitting (in the explorer club) while you are at your spa treatment. The wives and kids took advantage of the free shuttle (Mercedes Sprinter) to the local mall. Lastly, during our dinner at Amaya, everyone we encountered treated my family as if we were royalty. It wasn't the obvious things that caught my eye, but it was the attention to small details that amazed me. For example, my son was curious about our champagne, so the waiter went and put some Sprite in a decanter and pour it into a champagne glass for them (how awesome is that!). I can't say enough about their service...

Sorry for the long detail, but as you can see, I thoroughly enjoyed our visit. I can honestly say that you will get what you pay for at this resort.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family