“Great for business or cheap weekend away”

Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina
Ranked #21 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I paid $136 per night with AAA discount. I got a corner room in the Casa Del Mar building facing the water.
I would stay here for business again. The restaurant food is perfectly adequate but not fine cuisine. I did not use the pool as this hotel, at this time of the year attracts a lot of families so the pools were often children heavy.
The bed was comfortable, I sleep with earplugs in so I didn't hear much noise. During the day you can hear people outside but it wasn't too loud. I never heard anyone in the room next to mine (which is a pet peeve.) Now you are close to a naval base so occasionally a helicopter flies over or a jet and the windows do shake BUT I never once heard them at night.
I enjoyed my stay and will book in here for business again.
NOTE: The newer building if that's a must for you is the "Casa Marina" building.
Also the wifi in my room was very temperamental.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 27 July 2010

While this is a nice location-not quite waterfront but close(though it's not a nice beach-more of a harbor for small boats), it is super expensive. The room does come with a patio, a dining table, a fridge, and microwave. Internet was free, but gmail did not work, which was very inconvenient. I really disliked not having breakfast included. The hotel does have room service and a restaurant on site. The beds were comfy. Lastly, I could hear the people next-door through the walls.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We stayed 4 nights at the Island Palms. We arrived late on a Monday evening, put the grandkids to bed. When we opened the draperies the next morning, we had a spectacular view of the marina and a lovely patio, lawn area and ducks. As far as the kids were concerned it couldn't have been better. We had a double queen suite with kitchenette. The ability to put the kids to bed and have another room to go to was so nice.

Kids had breakfast and snacks easily available due to the kitchenette. And we had a full size coffee maker.

Trader Joe's within about a two mile drive. A good pizza and salad place in the TJ's center.

The staff at the hotel were very accommodating. The restaurant was fine, we even ordered room service one night so we could have a relaxing evening after a day at Sea World and a couple of hours in the swimming pool. An added bonus was that at 9:45 every night you could see the fireworks show put on by Sea World.

This hotel is in a lovely location, off the beaten path, but near everything we wanted to do. Just a few miles to the zoo and Balboa park, Sea World and freeway close for the trip to Legoland. I do think the marina side rooms have the best views. Pool was clean and not overly crowded even though the hotel was very full. From the front of the hotel you can see the skyline of downtown San Diego, really beautiful at night. Also, there is a park and walking trail across the street.

I read one complaint about the ducks. For us, the sound of ducks is preferable to the sound of traffic, take your pick. We would have stayed another night if there had been availability. The staff did everything they could to try and make it work for us. We will go back again and plan for a day of relaxation at the hotel and surrounding area.

1  Thank SLOcyn
Reviewed 24 July 2010

There is no way this place is a three star. This place is amazing. Where do you start? The location to everything is perfect, you are surrounded by a beautiful harbor, the rooms are spotless, the staff is amazing, the pools are heated and are never overcrowded. We were there in the middle of July, the hotel was packed, and we never had a problem getting into the pool. To find a downfall with this hotel, would be amazing, because I have stayed in many great resorts and hotels and the Island Palms could stand up to any one of the. Great place and I can't wait to come back!!!

1  Thank colin_william_wilkie
Reviewed 23 July 2010

This hotel was great, nice view of the water on Shelter Island. It might have seemed a bit remote but it was very easy to navigate to all the locations we wished to see around the city. I would much rather stay here than downtown. The suite layout was nice with a good kitchenette as well. We really enjoyed our stay here and I would certainly recommend this hotel to other families.