All reviews free shuttle great location shuttle service bedroom suite shuttle van close to the airport free breakfast amtrak station manager's reception little italy fire pit seaport village walking distance front desk staff cruise terminal star of india sofa bed
Reviewed 24 August 2017

I would have rated this property as Excellent but rated it as Very Good even though one thing made our stay Average. I will start with the one thing that brought the rating down. Our climate control was ridiculous. We stayed for 3 nights and one night was super hot, one night more warm than hot and the last night it was unbearably cold. It was so cold we woke up freezing at 60 degree. I believe standard normal is around 78 so it was cold!

We hadn't complained the first few days because we figured it was our fault with the controls but it wasn't it just did what it wanted to and so when I complained when checking out they would not adjust my bill just said they would give me some point which totaled 5,000 which is really nothing. I am new to their program and i can't even get a stay anywhere for that so really not much of a compensation for freezing. I read a lot of complaints about trains and we were located at the back of hotel and we heard them but we didn't worry too much but added with the freezing room we were not happy with that compensation.

Now after that all the good about the hotel and what we liked.

Check in was really good! We came from another hotel so we took a Lyft. Our room was spacious and clean. The kitchen had all you would need for a stay. It was nice to make a meal after being away from home for awhile. We were at the back and did hear the trains but again wouldn't have been a big deal. We were not in our room much but enjoyed it while we were. The location was great for the ferry to Coronado beach, Little Italy, downtown, the zoo, Balaboa, Petco Park and airport plus many others but what is fantastic about this hotel is they have a free shuttle within 3 miles which covers a lot of destinations. You can either book in advance which we did for the trips we knew in advance or you just went down and asked if it was available. Every time we used it they were so it worked great. They would also come and pick you up (within their hours which I believe was until 9pm and 6pm on Sunday) so a few times we were at a pub downtown and they came and scooped us up! This saved us a bit of money which was very nice! Coronodo was too far but the ferry is a short walk and then we took a Lyft back which was about $8 for two. We grabbed groceries in Coronodo as the closest grocery store is downtown which isn't far but we didn't want to carry items from there as it is a good walk. It would be within the free shuttle area though if you need them to give you a lift!

My favorite part of the stay was their breakfast. Sadly it was the best on weekdays so we only had one of the really good days but even on Sat/Sun it was really good. I would be shocked if anyone would complain about this free breakfast! Like other Residence Inn's they had hot items each day. Two kinds of meat (usually sausage of some type) and both scrambled egg whites and regular eggs which was a bonus for me as I love whites! They had toritillas to make a little breakfast burrito with all fixins. Grated cheddar, jalepnos, salsa and a few others. Then they had yogurt and two kinds of fresh fruit cut up plus bananas and then on week days they had a plate of good cheese like Brie and then cheese slices which I have never seen at a free breakfast. They had the standard toast station with bread, bagels, English muffins and some pastries but they had cream cheese which again was a nice addition. On the other side of the room they had the waffle maker and various cold cereals and then coffee, tea and juice. The one bonus for my Celiac husband is if you ask the staff they will get you a gluten free bagel. I mean unless you want it cold (they store in fridge) you will have to cross contaminate (which we did...we are a little less careful on vacation) but it was very nice to have the option. If you didn't want to there is many other options you could have and feel satisfied or you could have it cold. Breakfast was a bit later on weekend but I think they could extend it a bit. For us we workout so unless we want to get up super early it would be nice to have it available until 10:30.

The front desk also has cookies set out later in the day pre wrapped which was nice as well.

So would I stay at this location again. Yes but I would definitely inquire about the temp if I had issues on the first night to avoid being froze the last night!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shari M
Steve C, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am glad to see that you were pleased with our breakfast offerings. I will personally share your comments about your room temparature with my management team and continue our efforts to consistently resolve challenges and ensure a positive guest experience.

Thank you once again and hopefully we have an opportunity to host you the next time your travels bring you back to San Diego.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

My family had an excellent stay in this downtown hotel during a getaway to San Diego.

The hotel was situated across the street from a park (which the kids loved) and had numerous restaurants within walking distance.

The hotel itself was clean, quiet and offered a unique pool where you could see the train pass as it made its way down the coast. I thought the train would become a problem with noise but it was surprisingly quiet.

No complaints or dislikes about our stay. It was a great stay.

Tip: be sure to check the pricing of parking when reviewing the total cost of your stay.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Steve C, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Residence Inn San Diego Downtown.

We appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay. We take great pride in all of the services and amenities that we offer our guests, and I am glad to hear you found them useful during your visit. We are glad that you had a quiet and relaxing stay with us.

Thank you again and we would be honored to host you again sometime soon.

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown

Reviewed 30 July 2017

I booked this hotel with the option of cancelling. I had difficulties and neither the manager, Christopher or the GM Steven would work with me. They said several times they would get back with me, they promise and no reply. Very difficult situation..

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Steve C, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We appreciate your feedback and I would like to continue my efforts in resolving your particular guest issue.

I ask that you please contact me directly to further discuss.

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

Chose this hotel for location. And it really is a great location. Great restaurants all in walking distance, across the street from the harbor- no beach access. We were taking a harbor cruise and the dock was only a 15 minute walk. Free parking at the hotel.
However don't be fooled by the pictures. The outside looks great. The inside is very dated. The rooms are clean. Just very old and small. The usual size rooms at the Residence Inn are about 25% bigger than these. And I think my bed was as old as the room was. I had a very hard time moving once I could roll out of the bed.
Breakfast every morning? I am not a fan of pre-made scrambled eggs. It's the typical Residence Inn style breakfast which I skipped and my husband, who eats anything, agreed to skip on the 2nd day.
Overall, based on location it was great. Staff was nice and accommodating for an early check in. It is closer to a high 2 star or low 3 star hotel. Over priced for the accommodations.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Steve C, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We appreciate your feedback and I will personally share your comments with our management team and continue our efforts to improve our hotel and guest offerings to ensure a positive guest experience.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

Was upgraded to a double room. Every 3 days they havw bacon on the breakfast buffet. Lost my phone and tbe front desk held it- speaks to the honesty of the staff and personel. Friendly staff. Would return in a heartbeat.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Steve C, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2017

Hi David,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Residence Inn San Diego Downtown.

We appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay. I will share your kind comments about our staff with my team. They always strive to provide excellent service to all of our hotel guests.

We would love to have you back some day.

Thank you again for staying with us.

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown