Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
  • Room Service
All reviewsfree shuttlegreat locationshuttle servicebedroom suiteclose to the airportfree breakfastamtrak stationfire pitwalking distanceseaport villagehotel shuttleconvention centerfront desk staffgas lamplight railcouple blocksfresh fruit
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 November 2017

I had a short stop here while on businesses. this hotel has everything you need and is located a short distance to the airport and walking distance to restaurants. it was only a 10$ user downtown for some beers. check out the ballast point brewery.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Steve C, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Hi Dustin,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to hear that you had a nice stay. It's always great when our guests have the opportunity to enjoy the neighboring attractions.

We truly appreciate your business and hope you stay with us again.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

I booked a studio for my 25th birthday on September 30th. I called ahead to request an ocean view balcony view for the occasion. Upon arrival I was greeted however it seemed like the front desk employee was in a hurry and didnt seem really connected with guests (there was a huge festival happening that day and it was busy). I was given my room assignment however when I went into the room it was not a balcony view and I was disappointed. I came back down to the lobby and talked to the other front desk employee, named Johanna, and explained how I really wanted an ocean balcony view and was willing to wait until i room cleared up and she was very apologetic about the whole situation! She even said it was noted in the shift notes and sincerely apologized for the inconvenience and said we would be the next to get a balcony. I was very happy with how she treated the situation because it seemed like she really cared. We waited about 30 minutes in the lobby (which wasn't that long of a wait at all) and during the wait the front desk got a good rush of check ins and guests, all in that time I was observing and I want to say that Johanna handled everyone with a great attitude and smiling face! A little after we got our room and all I can say is WOW! we walked into room 417 and it was huge! beautiful ocean view it surpassed my expectations! I really loved my stay here, the hotel is so well run and very clean, your valet boys are all on top of their game as well. I really wanna say thanks to you Johanna for making this a great trip, even through the whole stay she would ask if we needed anything. I will definitely be staying here again whenever i am in San Diego!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Steve C, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2017

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Residence Inn San Diego Downtown.

We appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay. I do apologize that your first interaction wasn't as rewarding as it should have been, but I am very happy to hear that Johanna recovered and ensured you received your requested room type. I appreciate you taking the time to recognize our hotel and especially Johanna's service. I will make sure that she is properly recognized for her efforts.

Thank you again and we look forward to the next opportunity to host you.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

This is a typical Residence Inn property- little apartment style rooms with Queens and sofa beds (studios, 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom suites).

I chose this hotel because it's super close to the airport (about 1 mile away) and we had guests arriving via plane and there is a complimentary airport shuttle and shuttle to areas within a 3 mile radius from the hotel. This cut down on cab/lyft/uber rides. The only thing is that you have to book it ahead of time which can be hard to plan. We were fortunate and took advantage of this service many times during our short stay there.

This property is only a couple of blocks away from Little Italy. It's also very close to a nice park for the kids to run around and not a far walk to the Seaport Village. This property is walking distance to many areas within downtown San Diego- it's just whether you're willing/able to walk around.

The staff were all very friendly and were very accomodating. A larger room became available for my family and we were able to move in without any problems which was super appreciated! This is one of the many benefits to being a Marriott Reward Platinum member...otherwise we would've had to pay for it.

This hotel also offered free wifi and breakfast which was a nice touch. During the week they offer appetizers and free beer, apparently. There's a heated pool and parking was $30- much cheaper than properties in the Gaslamp.

If I were coming back with my family I would definitely come back. If I were just coming back with my hubby I would stay in the Gaslamp area though. Gaslamp area was only a $8 Lyft ride away...so it's not like it's super far.

Stayed: October 2017
Steve C, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Hi Vanessa,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Residence Inn San Diego Downtown.

We appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay. I am always pleased to hear that our hotel and amenities are rewarding and useful to our hotel guests. We are very happy that your family enjoyed their stay with us.

We truly appreciate your business and hope you visit us again.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

I would have rated this property as Excellent but rated it as Very Good even though one thing made our stay Average. I will start with the one thing that brought the rating down. Our climate control was ridiculous. We stayed for 3 nights and one night was super hot, one night more warm than hot and the last night it was unbearably cold. It was so cold we woke up freezing at 60 degree. I believe standard normal is around 78 so it was cold!

We hadn't complained the first few days because we figured it was our fault with the controls but it wasn't it just did what it wanted to and so when I complained when checking out they would not adjust my bill just said they would give me some point which totaled 5,000 which is really nothing. I am new to their program and i can't even get a stay anywhere for that so really not much of a compensation for freezing. I read a lot of complaints about trains and we were located at the back of hotel and we heard them but we didn't worry too much but added with the freezing room we were not happy with that compensation.

Now after that all the good about the hotel and what we liked.

Check in was really good! We came from another hotel so we took a Lyft. Our room was spacious and clean. The kitchen had all you would need for a stay. It was nice to make a meal after being away from home for awhile. We were at the back and did hear the trains but again wouldn't have been a big deal. We were not in our room much but enjoyed it while we were. The location was great for the ferry to Coronado beach, Little Italy, downtown, the zoo, Balaboa, Petco Park and airport plus many others but what is fantastic about this hotel is they have a free shuttle within 3 miles which covers a lot of destinations. You can either book in advance which we did for the trips we knew in advance or you just went down and asked if it was available. Every time we used it they were so it worked great. They would also come and pick you up (within their hours which I believe was until 9pm and 6pm on Sunday) so a few times we were at a pub downtown and they came and scooped us up! This saved us a bit of money which was very nice! Coronodo was too far but the ferry is a short walk and then we took a Lyft back which was about $8 for two. We grabbed groceries in Coronodo as the closest grocery store is downtown which isn't far but we didn't want to carry items from there as it is a good walk. It would be within the free shuttle area though if you need them to give you a lift!

My favorite part of the stay was their breakfast. Sadly it was the best on weekdays so we only had one of the really good days but even on Sat/Sun it was really good. I would be shocked if anyone would complain about this free breakfast! Like other Residence Inn's they had hot items each day. Two kinds of meat (usually sausage of some type) and both scrambled egg whites and regular eggs which was a bonus for me as I love whites! They had toritillas to make a little breakfast burrito with all fixins. Grated cheddar, jalepnos, salsa and a few others. Then they had yogurt and two kinds of fresh fruit cut up plus bananas and then on week days they had a plate of good cheese like Brie and then cheese slices which I have never seen at a free breakfast. They had the standard toast station with bread, bagels, English muffins and some pastries but they had cream cheese which again was a nice addition. On the other side of the room they had the waffle maker and various cold cereals and then coffee, tea and juice. The one bonus for my Celiac husband is if you ask the staff they will get you a gluten free bagel. I mean unless you want it cold (they store in fridge) you will have to cross contaminate (which we did...we are a little less careful on vacation) but it was very nice to have the option. If you didn't want to there is many other options you could have and feel satisfied or you could have it cold. Breakfast was a bit later on weekend but I think they could extend it a bit. For us we workout so unless we want to get up super early it would be nice to have it available until 10:30.

The front desk also has cookies set out later in the day pre wrapped which was nice as well.

So would I stay at this location again. Yes but I would definitely inquire about the temp if I had issues on the first night to avoid being froze the last night!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jadybugs
Steve C, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am glad to see that you were pleased with our breakfast offerings. I will personally share your comments about your room temparature with my management team and continue our efforts to consistently resolve challenges and ensure a positive guest experience.

Thank you once again and hopefully we have an opportunity to host you the next time your travels bring you back to San Diego.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

My family had an excellent stay in this downtown hotel during a getaway to San Diego.

The hotel was situated across the street from a park (which the kids loved) and had numerous restaurants within walking distance.

The hotel itself was clean, quiet and offered a unique pool where you could see the train pass as it made its way down the coast. I thought the train would become a problem with noise but it was surprisingly quiet.

No complaints or dislikes about our stay. It was a great stay.

Tip: be sure to check the pricing of parking when reviewing the total cost of your stay.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Steve C, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Residence Inn San Diego Downtown.

We appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay. We take great pride in all of the services and amenities that we offer our guests, and I am glad to hear you found them useful during your visit. We are glad that you had a quiet and relaxing stay with us.

Thank you again and we would be honored to host you again sometime soon.