“Thursday is Burger & A Beer Night!”
Review of Finely J P's Restaurant - CLOSED

Finely J P's Restaurant
Price range: US$13 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 8 May 2017

Finding the perfect burger in the Wellfleet area had become a quest for me. They had ranged from horrible hockey pucks to mediocre Bubba Burgers regardless of price. When I was told about FINALLY JP'S Thursday night special, frankly I was skeptical. $13 for a burger or fish sandwich and a beer. How good could it be?

I was stunned and delighted to discover the burger is organic Angus beef, cooked to perfection. (I like mine rare and it was.) Served with carmelized onions, and a choice of cheese (I had habanero jack) and french fries. The beer was any beer not just a domestic on tap. I had an imported non-alcoholic and my companion had a Stella Artois. (Her burger was a perfect medium-rare by the way.)

The service was friendly and prompt. The ladies' was immaculate and the general atmosphere was comfortably casual without a hint of tacky.
I look forward to returning very soon to try the rest of the menu. The Vegetable Napoleon ($20) or the Scallops Linguine with mushrooms ($24) may be what I try next. I hear the prime rib is very good there as well.

Reviewed 23 February 2017

We were a party of 4. It was the President's Day weekend. Many places are still closed. There were long waits for seating in Provincetown so we took a chance. We called JP's in Wellfleet. They were very friendly saying that getting seated was no problem. When we arrived at 7:00 there were 6 tables being served. Most had come for the fixe price menu that runs from 5:00-600.
We were seated in moments.
Brought drinks in 20 minutes.
Order taken after 45 minutes.
Received food 2 hours and 10 minutes after arrival.

AGAIN, we were # 7 in line to get served. I asked our waitress what was happening and why the long delays. She said there was one person in the kitchen and she was alone waiting tables.
Here is why I will NEVER EVER EVER eat at JPs or be able to recommend them.
1. I felt duped and lied to. When we called, there was ample opportunity to let me know that they had seating but were a bit backed up.
2. When we arrived after a 20 minute drive, they had an opportunity to be straight with me.
3. After the first hour, without my asking, they had a chance to let me know what was going on.
4. After the second hour, they could have offered me a free coffee or dessert
5. Most unconscionable, the food was boring and uninspired.
6. I saw an additional waitress and heard someone in the kitchen talking to someone, another lie.
There are way too many good options in season, and there is never any reason for me to ever give JPs another moment of my time. They should rename themselves PJs for Patience of Job, because that is what it took for us to remain there for the 2 hours and 10 minutes it took for our food to arrive. In the end, we ate alone because all other diners had long gone.

Reviewed 17 September 2016

Finely J.P.'s has much going for it. First, the food is consistently very good. This goes back to the days when it was a ramshackle little place to dine. What I like about it now is the calming atmosphere. The modernistic design of the building is unique to restaurants on the Cape. The attitude is welcoming, and quietly confident. Once seated, you have a sense of intimacy within the rooms. The veteran wait staff is always attentive. The prices-- quite reasonable. One dish that I always love is their ravioli, which they serve in many different ways. Most recently, their mushoom ravioli in a tomato and spinach sauce was right-on-delicious. My wife really enjoyed her pasta as well...with calimari in a spicy, light cream sauce. In the end, you always have a good feeling for having spent some time here. The environment, the staff, the food, and the price all intersect with nice results. You know that you'll come back, and it will be just like the last time.

Reviewed 16 August 2016

We had a lovely meal, with a nice atmosphere, reasonably priced, and a friendly wait-staff. Though we did not have children with us, we saw other tables with very young kids and the staff handled that just fine. My wife had a vegetarian entree (hard to find around Wellfleet) and was very pleased with that.

1  Thank crunchy_jax
Reviewed 10 August 2016

The atmosphere works upstairs or down (There is a handicapped elevator). Lots of light.
Food is excellent, but I'd stick to fish or paella I order the swordfish almost every time. It is like butter. Service is fine.

1  Thank Gourmetgerry