“A native New Yorker's perspective”
Review of Luxe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Luxe
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 16 June 2008

I had to write my point of view on this restaurant after seeing the previous review from the out of towner from Philly. He either had too many of their very potent martinis and is still fantasing that he's some famous food critic or he's simply mistaken and is talking about a completely different place than I one I had been in last month. The waiter was very attentive throughout our 3 hr stay. The drinks are well worth the money - it actually has liquor in it unlike many other restaurant/bars. Food was very good and the atmosphere was cozy. I've lived in New York City almost all my life and have seen restaurants come and go and this one is going to stay for a while simply because it's good!

1  Thank yingp
Reviewed 16 June 2008

If you haven't tried this great new restaurant located on 35th street btw. 7th and 8th, then you don't know what your missing.
With a great outdoor garden patio in the back and upbeat staff not to mention a great menu, this place is my new favorite.
The staff is attentive, atmosphere charming and most of all the food is some of the best Italian I've had in anywhere.
My last visit, just a few days ago, I had invited several friends to check it out with me. Several had the ribeye which was cooked to perfection, but I personally, had the veal piccatta, one of my favorite dishes. As always, it was delicious. Seldom can you find good veal, cooked perfectly and severed with fresh vegetables and the best whipped potatoes around. I've also had their pasta carbonara which is absolutely incredible!!
Since finding this little gem, I've told associates and friends alike to check it out and all have been impressed. I know this place will be a staple on my list for a long time to come. If you live in the city or are here on business or pleasure, I highly recommend a visit.

Reviewed 5 June 2008

I travel internationally for a living and cost is not a consideration, being on an expense account. I like Italian and I judge Italian places on Veal Picaittca. Luxe falls far short on the main course. I have had better in Bethlehem PA. The veal was tough, whether that was from poor quality/grade or poor preparation is open to disscussion. The green beans were poor and appeared to be under cooked canned rather than under done steamed fresh. For NYC where the competion is fierce this is unexcusable. Comments to the hostesssd waiter on this did not elisit a response from managment Something that is so basic that Chilie's managers have learned. The caprese salad was straight out of the fridge and could have used better integration of the basil. One sprig doesn't really cut it.

Service was intially attentive but later fell off. If the place became packed I would have understood but at a 20% fill it was intolerable.

On their present course I do not see a rosy future for Luxe and unfortiunatly I can not reccomend it. At the prices they charge you could go elsewhereand get much better.

Reviewed 20 April 2008

I love to eat/drink in this recently-opened well-kept-secret dining oasis incongruously tucked away in the heart of a gritty typical Garment Center block (!!), right near Macy's, The Javits Center, a block north of Madison Square Garden and also next door to the Wingate by Wyndham Hotel. There's a cute little brass-railed sidewalk cafe upfront and a relaxed entry bar which leads into (and here's the ultimate surprise and totally unheard of in this area) - a white tablecloth votive-lit dining room (!) leading through glass doors to this gorgeous walled-for-privacy dining garden, with tons of lush flowers and palms, lit-up fountain, wall sconces, bright canvas umbrellas and awnings, more. The traditional regional Italian food with a New American twist is delish - I adore the hand-made tortellini in a four-cheese sauce and their special (very rich) made-on-premise tiramisu and the after-dinner hand-brewed private label grappa will give you a mellow mega-buzz, for sure, along with the great list of exotic custom-blend $6 (!) Martinis at the bar's daily happy hour. The warm and professional service makes me feel so relaxed (not a smidgin of NYC attitude here...) and owners Victor (who is also the executive chef and a former Carmine's GM) and Martin will make you feel so at home. Oh, forgot to mention the amazing weekend brunch...Eggs Park Avenue, anyone?? and also that Luxe is open 7 days a week until midnight, as well.

1  Thank savvyblonde