“Financial district - History and photography lesson combined”
Review of Photo Walk-abouts - CLOSED

Photo Walk-abouts
More attraction details
Owner description: Photo Walk-abouts are exclusive private walking tours of New York City that focus on teaching the participants to take better photos. A brief lesson on photography and historical commentary are included along with time for participants to take their own photos of NYC. During the tour specific assignments are given and then photos taken are reviewed with the guide. Tours of Greenwich Village, Central Park, Chinatown/Five Points, Wall St./the Financial District, and Historic Harlem are available. Workshops on F-stops, Shutter Speeds and All That and Night Photography are also available.
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Walking & photographic tour of financial district - including Trinity Church, Wall Street, Stock Exchange, Bowling Green park, Bronze Bull. Tour guide had an obvious passion for both photography and New York City. Commenced tour with a briefing on photography, types of photo opportunities that NYC offers, advice on capabilities of your camera. My wife has recently got into photography with a good SLR camera with a number of lenses, but she had rarely ventured into manual mode before the tour. Right from the start the tour guide had my wife utilizing the full capabilities of manual mode with some good coaching. I am at the other end of the scale with my pocket automatic - I learned new functions on my camera and more about what makes for a great photo. I enjoyed the discussions on the early history of NYC. Our guide was very friendly and flexible allowing us to go at our own pace. We also received good tips on other places in NYC. Recommended.

1  Thank Bwana_11

Reviewed 27 April 2011

My 15 yr. old daughter went on a private tour with Lora last summer. She went to Central Park and the Art Museum and learned to use her new Nikon D90 camera and learned many photography techniques. Best of all, she saw amazing sights and had a really fun day- that she still talks about! It was an amazing tour and well worth the money. We will be going back this summer (from Oklahoma City) for a tour with Lora. I tell everyone about this great tour!

Reviewed 18 April 2011

Since I always have my camera with me, I wanted to do a photo tour while visiting. I picked the Central Park tour because I really love seeing the park but it can be confusing and I thought it would be good for someone to show me around. This tour hit all the major highlights that you've heard about but with the additional benefit that you get to look around and photograph before moving on. There was a nice talk about photography at the beginning to help with making your photos better. The guide and everyone on the tour was friendly and nice and it was a beautiful day so that made the time even better. I'd highly recommend this tour to anyone who wants to see Central Park in a leisurely manner.

1  Thank jayjay5
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I originally wanted to sign up for the Central Park tour but the schedule would only allow me the Saturday Greenwich Village tour. However, it still turned out to be a great experience. I really enjoyed seeing NYC though camera lenses, and being able to walk around the Village with a group of people with similar passion for photography is fascinating. I don't think anyone on my tour that day was professional or even amateur photographer. We just all liked taking pictures. Lora, the guide, is very nice and patient. She made sure we were happy and safe the whole time. I still want to do the Central Park tour- maybe next time!

1  Thank TinaEinkauf
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 February 2011

This is certainly a worthwhile tour if you fancy doing something a bit different than the usual tours available. Not only does Lora provide great historical and contemporary information on the tour, but also gives great direction on how to take a better photo. I learned alot about the technical aspects of my camera, as well as how to observe and capture NYC with a more creative spin. All levels are catered for, from absolute beginners with compact cameras, through to more experienced digital SLR owners.
At 2.5 hours it's a good length of walkabout, with a stop off at a café en route in the Greenwich Village tour, so a chance for refreshment. Would definitely recommend!

1  Thank tk_mos