“Great Photos from Greenwich Village”
Review of Photo Walk-abouts - CLOSED

Photo Walk-abouts
More attraction details
Owner description: Photo Walk-abouts are exclusive private walking tours of New York City that focus on teaching the participants to take better photos. A brief lesson on photography and historical commentary are included along with time for participants to take their own photos of NYC. During the tour specific assignments are given and then photos taken are reviewed with the guide. Tours of Greenwich Village, Central Park, Chinatown/Five Points, Wall St./the Financial District, and Historic Harlem are available. Workshops on F-stops, Shutter Speeds and All That and Night Photography are also available.
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I took the Greenwich Village tour and it was great! It was a nice sunny day and a little hot but luckily a reasonable amount of the tour was in the shade. We visited interesting places and the historical perspective was fascinating. The guide was a virtual treasure trove of information. I picked up quite a few new ideas and tricks during the photography talk which I implemented on the tour to improve my shots. I was able to ask a few questions I had and also to get some feedback on some of my shots with further instructions to improve. The other people on the tour were very friendly and I enjoyed talking with them. The tour was a good way to see this area of the city and I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed Greenwich Village as much if I had gone on my own. I will definitely take another photo tour on my next trip to New York.

1  Thank John J

Reviewed 2 August 2011

I signed up for a Photo Walk-about tour in June 2011. My first choice was Central Park, but it appears weekend tours to the park are far and in between so I ended up signing up for the Greenwich Village one. I had hoped to gain some good, useful tips on photo taking. Although the guide was open to answering questions on camera functions you are unfamiliar with, it was by no means the in-depth photography course I was hoping for. A lot of it could have been learned via the internet or the camera instructional manual. The guide directed us to parts of the Village where celebrities and famous people once resided and gave us a brief history. We were left to roam the area for a few minutes to take any pictures we deemed worthy.

If you're looking for a tour that teaches you to take fabulous pictures, this might not be it. However, it is a good tour to learn a bit of history about the Village and enjoy the architecture you might not have noticed if it was not pointed out to you.

2  Thank VHLC
photowalkabouts, Owner at Photo Walk-abouts, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the Greenwich Village tour, however your primary complaint seems to be that it was not the in-depth photography course for which you were hoping. Not only are the tours not meant to be an in-depth photography course, but they also are not advertised as such. While we do have workshops that specifically focus on photography for the entire time period, it very clearly states on our website that the tour will begin with a brief lesson on photography followed by a traditional walking tour that includes time to photograph various areas and historical facts about the area. Even so the photography lesson typically lasts 15-20 min and has many tips for taking better photos. If you felt that this was not helpful enough for you, I wish that you had done as others have done in the past and taken advantage of the time to photograph (which is always at least 10 minutes) to show me some of your photos for feedback or ask whatever specific questions that you might have about how to improve your photography that you felt were not answered previously.

Reviewed 17 July 2011

Definately take water, comfy shoes and your imagination

Reviewed 19 June 2011

The tour guide was knowledgeable about photography and Central Park. She included quite a bit of history about the park itself and gave us good photography instruction, focusing on composition. The tour is suitable for anyone from a novice to a more advanced photographer. However, it is a good tour of Central Park with or without a camera. I was very pleased with the tour. I took each of the photos accompanying this review during the tour. The instructor encouraged us to photograph reflections, which I did. The photo of the hawks, Pale Male and Ginger, required a longer lens (the photo is heavily cropped), but it was fun just to see the birds and to able to photograph them.

2  Thank RufusJ
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I've had a little point-and-shoot for almost a year and have kept it on auto the entire time. With a trip right around the corner, I figured it was time I learned how to use it. I signed up for the Greenwich Village walking tour, hoping I'd get a little history, pick up a few tips on using my camera, learn about basic photo composition, and have fun. Lora provided all this and more.

The tour was informative, both from a historical and camera how-to perspective. With the twists and turns of Greenwich Village, it makes you feel like you've taken a step out of NY and provides beautiful facades, angles and intricate details for pictures. My group was sold out, and Lora still found time to provide individual attention to anyone with a question. She's patient and very thorough and the tour is well orchestrated in terms of timing and route.