Sofitel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$230
US$219
Sofitel
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$293/night.

Avalon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$1,685
US$145
  • Fitness centre
Savings alert! 36% below average rates

The price you found is 36% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$225/night.

US$245
US$181
InterContinental
  • Room Service
NYLO New York City(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$240
  • Bar/Lounge
Grand Hyatt New York(New York City)
US$290
US$279
US$195
US$169
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 36% below average rates

The price you found is 36% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$266/night.

Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$215
US$114
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
The New Yorker a Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$194
US$130
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 29% below average rates

The price you found is 29% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$184/night.

Pod 51 Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$160
US$125
  • Bar/Lounge
Savings alert! 28% below average rates

The price you found is 28% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$173/night.

Holiday Inn Manhattan - Financial District(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$173
US$127
HolidayInn.com
Savings alert! 32% below average rates

The price you found is 32% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$186/night.

All reviewsgreenwich villagefrench roastwashington squareshared bathnew yorksingle roomgreat neighborhoodfew blocksexcellent locationbreakfast roombig applesinkrobesubwayfloornyctownhouse
Reviewed 7 August 2017

When the Larchmont Hotel died earlier this summer, a small piece of me did as well.

If you read deep enough into TripAdvisor, you'll see a review I wrote years ago where I described its absolutely unbeatable location. I noted the unfathomably affordable rate. I mentioned its unparalleled cleanliness.

Now that my comments can't be written off as the covert work of some insider shill — for the record, I do not have (and never have had) any connection with the hotel other than being a regular customer — let me tell you what I really think of The Larchmont: It was the best hotel in New York City.

Yes, I know, I know. It was as basic as a hotel can get. I could touch both sides of my "cozy single" at the very same time. There weren't a lot of amenities, save for that modest continental breakfast in the bright basement café. The television was always dicey and, while it was being replaced the hotel's final months, didn't work at all. (Thank you, fast Wifi!) And, Lord knows, a shared bath wasn't for some people, though The Larchmont was for everyone else.

So, how could it possibly be the best hotel in New York?

At The Larchmont, you were home. Nestled in the center of a tree-lined residential street, The Larchmont was a place where you could feel the pulse of real New Yorkers. Stepping outside in the morning, you could greet your neighbors as they walked their dogs, hosed down their sidewalks and chased their children down 11th Street and across Sixth Avenue to PS 41, the Greenwich Village School.

The staff was family. Even though I came "home" to The Larchmont just once or twice a year, I was always greeted warmly and by name. Because it was a six-floor (?) townhouse, not a high-rise, there were never so many people around that you couldn't stop and talk for a moment, if that's what you wanted to do. Housekeepers were always kind and kept the place impeccably clean. And, to be completely honest, I rarely saw anyone on my way to the shower, so it was a lot like home, if you throw on a robe to walk down your own hall.

So, please allow me this post to thank my "family" at The Larchmont. I'm sorry we never had a chance to say goodbye. But I wish you the very best.

There are other good, reasonably affordable microhotels in the city, though not with the location or the neighborhood feel or the exceptional staff. In fact, I've booked one already. But no matter how well that trip goes, I'll always be looking back at The Larchmont. And wishing I could go home.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
9  Thank WSPNYC
Reviewed 31 July 2017

Just by serendipity, I found out this hotel has closed! My husband and I have reservations to stay there in September, 2017 for a week. Luckily, a friend asked me where we were staying and I tried to send her a link to the hotel's website so she could check it out and discovered THEY ARE CLOSED! I received NO notice, no anything! Had it not been for my friend, I would not have learned this until a week before our arrival when I would have emailed or called them to confirm our reservation one last time. I tried calling their office and heard only a recording. I left my contact information but have never heard from them. Luckily, I immediately scrambled around and found another hotel that wasn't too expensive in the same general area. The Larchmont could have at least emailed me to advise they couldn't honor our reservation! RIDICULOUS!!!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2017

We were very pleased with our long weekend stay at the Larchmont! The hotel is clean, the staff is very professional, the place is central, we walked to and from Central New York, we like to walk, access to the Subway is very close.. I was a bit concerned about having to share a bathroom and shower, but all went very well and the the area was cleaned more than once a day! The price is reasonable compared to other hotels in New York! I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: we were on the 2nd floor east side.. it was very quiet...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denise P
Reviewed 12 May 2017

Not sure what's going on but the hotel website has disappeared. Called because I had a reservation that I wasn't going to need and their website had been down for four days. Person I spoke to said that they weren't taking reservations for the rest of the year and when I pressed, wasn't sure that they'd still be in business. Too bad, because this was my budget go-to in NYC when I was alone and/or on quick trips.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
6  Thank Susan L
Reviewed 6 May 2017

Over a month after this hotel happily accepted our booking, we received a very short and blunt notice saying that our reservation was cancelled due to "building-wide repairing and upgrading" activities. This was less than two months before our intended stay -- and that in a city like New York, where it is very hard to find an affordable place to stay at such a short notice. The hotel could and should have been aware much earlier of this renovation, which is apparently of a rather large scale. As a hotel management, they ought to know that it is unacceptable to disrupt people's travelling plans like this, especially for something that could have easily been anticipated.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple