“Miss the Larchmont”
Review of Larchmont Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Larchmont Hotel
Ranked #357 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 11 August 2017

I considered the Larchmont Hotel to be a home away from home. I stayed there often while in NYC, and am so so sad to see it go. Thanks for the hospitality and the FREE coffee! The end of an era. Sadness. ):

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank jaxbrill

Reviewed 7 August 2017

When the Larchmont Hotel died earlier this summer, a small piece of me did as well.

If you read deep enough into TripAdvisor, you'll see a review I wrote years ago where I described its absolutely unbeatable location. I noted the unfathomably affordable rate. I mentioned its unparalleled cleanliness.

Now that my comments can't be written off as the covert work of some insider shill — for the record, I do not have (and never have had) any connection with the hotel other than being a regular customer — let me tell you what I really think of The Larchmont: It was the best hotel in New York City.

Yes, I know, I know. It was as basic as a hotel can get. I could touch both sides of my "cozy single" at the very same time. There weren't a lot of amenities, save for that modest continental breakfast in the bright basement café. The television was always dicey and, while it was being replaced the hotel's final months, didn't work at all. (Thank you, fast Wifi!) And, Lord knows, a shared bath wasn't for some people, though The Larchmont was for everyone else.

So, how could it possibly be the best hotel in New York?

At The Larchmont, you were home. Nestled in the center of a tree-lined residential street, The Larchmont was a place where you could feel the pulse of real New Yorkers. Stepping outside in the morning, you could greet your neighbors as they walked their dogs, hosed down their sidewalks and chased their children down 11th Street and across Sixth Avenue to PS 41, the Greenwich Village School.

The staff was family. Even though I came "home" to The Larchmont just once or twice a year, I was always greeted warmly and by name. Because it was a six-floor (?) townhouse, not a high-rise, there were never so many people around that you couldn't stop and talk for a moment, if that's what you wanted to do. Housekeepers were always kind and kept the place impeccably clean. And, to be completely honest, I rarely saw anyone on my way to the shower, so it was a lot like home, if you throw on a robe to walk down your own hall.

So, please allow me this post to thank my "family" at The Larchmont. I'm sorry we never had a chance to say goodbye. But I wish you the very best.

There are other good, reasonably affordable microhotels in the city, though not with the location or the neighborhood feel or the exceptional staff. In fact, I've booked one already. But no matter how well that trip goes, I'll always be looking back at The Larchmont. And wishing I could go home.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
6  Thank WSPNYC
Reviewed 31 July 2017

Just by serendipity, I found out this hotel has closed! My husband and I have reservations to stay there in September, 2017 for a week. Luckily, a friend asked me where we were staying and I tried to send her a link to the hotel's website so she could check it out and discovered THEY ARE CLOSED! I received NO notice, no anything! Had it not been for my friend, I would not have learned this until a week before our arrival when I would have emailed or called them to confirm our reservation one last time. I tried calling their office and heard only a recording. I left my contact information but have never heard from them. Luckily, I immediately scrambled around and found another hotel that wasn't too expensive in the same general area. The Larchmont could have at least emailed me to advise they couldn't honor our reservation! RIDICULOUS!!!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2017

We were very pleased with our long weekend stay at the Larchmont! The hotel is clean, the staff is very professional, the place is central, we walked to and from Central New York, we like to walk, access to the Subway is very close.. I was a bit concerned about having to share a bathroom and shower, but all went very well and the the area was cleaned more than once a day! The price is reasonable compared to other hotels in New York! I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: we were on the 2nd floor east side.. it was very quiet...