“Gorgeous Hidden Gem”
Review of The Jane

The Jane
Ranked #311 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 27 October 2014

This historic hotel was really a wonderful surprise!

The decor is a gorgeous mix of shabby chic and classic architecture paired with wonderful choices of textures, colors and odd dark flair. I so loved the decor I took photos so that I might redo some of my home in this style. (For even more gorgeous styling, check out the bar in the hotel complete with oil paintings, taxidermy and a beat-up disco ball. Excellent cocktails too!) The winding hallways in red and port glass on the stairway doors set the mood for the old (but clean!) building. The ambiance has been well cultivated. (This is not your average Ramada, Hilton, Holiday Inn or Westin so don't expect it.)

We stayed in a captain's suite which, compared to other hotels of the same caliber, was still at a good price for the city. We had our own bathroom as well as our own balcony. Unfortunately, there was work being done on the outside of the building so our access was blocked. (This also created a bit of a problem when the construction crew started drilling into the brick wall next to our bed and woke us up around 8am. At the end of our stay, when I asked for some consideration in this matter, they were very kind and with apologies, took one night off of our stay. This was handled well and to my complete satisfaction, and with my own work in the service industry I know that things happen beyond control, hence still a 5 star rating.)

I did peak into one of the smaller rooms and I will say, they are quite small. But I think if I were traveling with a friend or alone, I wouldn't have an issue with it. (Sharing a bunk bed with my husband though might be a bit too much.)

The location was perfect. This said, I will say that we enjoy walking a lot so a 30-60 minute walk is not a big deal for us. For those less inclined, the subway is very close and easy to use. Being close to the Hudson was lovely to walk up and down with our coffee in the morning. Another good morning walk nearby is The Highline, which is a great getaway from the streets down below. The immediate area had a quiet, residential feel. It was far enough away from the hustle and bustle but close enough to get to the heart of things without much effort.

The staff was sweet, attentive, and warm. When the hairdryer died, they brought a new one to our room. And when we came down later that night, the gentleman who helped us inquired about it, making sure everything was working well.

Overall, I was very happy with our stay. Next time I am in NYC, I will stay here as my preferred home.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the captain suites are really lovely.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,446)

Reviewed 26 October 2014

The Jane is a great place for a short stop in NYC. I had four nights here in a single room and it was comfortable and clean with attentive and welcoming staff. The share bathrooms are kept spotless and I never once had to wait for a shower. I don't know if I timed it right but I went to shower around 8.00am each day and no problem. I guess the early risers may well have showered before sleep or had already showered and the party goers and bar hoppers were still asleep. The area is spoilt for choice for good cafés and restaurants. For breakfast I'd recommend Grounded down the road. The best burgers and some of the cheapest beers in NYC are at The Corner Bistro, also just down the road, one of the last old time unchanged bohemian bars in the rapidly gentrifying West Village area. Don't miss out on a visit to it. If you are a Dylan Thomas fan you can toast him in The White Horse where he had his fateful last drink, also just around the corner.
Yes, the single rooms are small but the beds are super comfortable and who is spending all day in your room in NYC anyway? The rooms have free cable tv/DVD player; a radio/iPod charger; the hotel has bikes to use for free and they will lend you an iPad or laptop for whilst you're here, gratis. What's not to like?

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank NoelH460
Reviewed 25 October 2014

the setting is very special and the view from the bathroom is wonderfull, the room is very small and narrow as if your in a 3th class cabin of an old cruise ship, but convenient, the staf is very friendly and helpfull. The room has no view, and the bar/restaurant doesn't really match with the setting and the atmosphere of the hotel, could be coster.

Room Tip: Go for the larger room, but also more expensive, we hed the cabin with two bunkers.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 23 October 2014

I had a one night stop over in new York and was looking for somewhere cheap but interesting that I could explore from. the Jane provided exactly that, it's history as a seafarer's hostel and as the place that the titanic survivors were housed when they reached NY gave it plenty of talking points and these were perfectly reflected in the design and décor.

The rooms felt like cabins on an old ocean going liner and the place oozed history. You have to be happy to share bathrooms but these were kept clean and tidy and created shared conversation spaces which was a nice way to meet people from all over the world who were willing to give this interesting establishment a go.

The staff were helpful and friendly and I would stay again if I'm in NY for a day or two again, anything longer than that and the cabin style rooms would feel a bit cramped I think

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nick J
Reviewed 22 October 2014 via mobile

If you're just looking for somewhere to sleep and store your stuff- the Jane is perfect. The rate is much lower than other places as the rooms are tiny and you share a bathroom but this suited us just fine. The location is good as it is close to bars and restaurants but the subway stop is a ten minute walk. Not for everyone.

Stayed: October 2014