1,531 results
All reviews shared bathroom cafe gitane meatpacking district captain's cabin the high line standard cabin single cabin jane street hudson river bunk beds free bikes quirky hotel new york whitney museum greenwich village robes and slippers ipod dock
Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed in one of the single rooms which was really cute and despite the size of it, was really all you need. I like quirky hotels and this is one quirky hotel.
The bad stuff:
- The room was like a sauna because of the central heating and it felt weird having to sleep with the air con on in Dec just so I wasn't sweating
- The FOH staff were very hot and cold. Depending on the day / time / person, I really couldn't tell if they wanted to help me or not
- Bed was stiff and narrow, smaller than a single size

The good stuff:
- Loved the uniqueness of this hotel
- The bellboys were always friendly and helpful
- Good quiet location away from the chaos that is NYC

Genuinely unsure if I would stay here again, I think I would more so for the price rather than the hotel itself

Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
Jamie O, Front Office Manager at The Jane, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2018

Hi Katie,
It's a pleasure to hear how much you appreciate our uniqueness and the details here at the Jane Hotel. Due to our age and structure we are on a one pipe heating system that affects every room uniquely. As guests stay with us we get better at matching them to rooms. Whenever you have any discomfort please do not hesitate to reach out to the Front Desk for immediate assistance as we have someone on staff 24 hours a day. You dial 0 from the rooms at any time. I apologize that anyone might give you the impression that they are not fully ready to assist and will be sure to work with all of our staff. Thank you for letting us know. You might also like our Captain's Cabins which are more spacious, have a private bathroom, and are furnished with a Full, Queen, or King sized Serta mattress. Your kind words have been shared with the team and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 11 December 2017

If you're looking for a cost-effective way to stay in Manhattan, then the Jane is your place. It's an old building next to the Hudson in Soho, that's kept its mariner roots. For the most part the rooms are small, bathrooms are shared (yes, this takes getting used to). Location is good, restaurants and bars nearby and the Highline isn't too far away. Although it's a ~15 minute walk to get to the subway. Cleanliness of the bathrooms is well managed, but overall the cleanliness of the rooms could be improved.
There's a nightclub downstairs which is busy over the weekend (lineup outside), and a nice restaurant in the lobby. Be sure to visit the bar on the roof, as they have fantastic cocktails and a great view of the river. Lastly, I'd like to thank Tes for excellent customer service.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Jamie O, Front Office Manager at The Jane, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2017

Thank you so very much! We will be sure to make sure Tes knows what an impression she has mad. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 8 December 2017

I thought it would be a great stay based on historical reviews. However, the room was not clean. I had multiple bug bites on my arm!!! And the bed is simply small, and I found it not comfortable. The bottom line: I still gave credit to the front desk service, which was good.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Trex118
Jamie O, Front Office Manager at The Jane, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2017

I deeply apologize for the experience you describe, it is most certainly not to our standard. Please do reach out me directly so that we may properly address your concerns. Your kind words regarding our Front Desk mean a great deal to us. I look forward to further assisting you.

Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

Amazing location, great staff an the bathrooms are very very clean an that’s saying a lot coming from me who struggles with anxiety esp when it comes to clean bathrooms/toilets!
Had a fabulous stay in a bunk room with my friend we loved it an said we would love to stay again! I was slightly anxious wiv having a shared bathrooms but it was totally fine an I had nothing to worry about at all!!
Can’t wait for my next stay there! Xx

Stayed: November 2017
1  Thank Kirstie S

So glad to hear what a good time you had!
Cheers,

Reviewed 26 November 2017

Upon learning that my regular NY hotel (the Larchmont) had closed, the search was on for a similar replacement. I happened on the Jane with a seemingly reasonable rate from Expedia, spent a week there in November 2017, and am glad I did.

It's a charming property. While the rooftop bar was already closed for the season, I had a chance to use the cafe, the bar and the nightclub - along with spending a week in a single 'cabin'. Yes, the room is small; the smallest I've ever had. But if you know what you're getting into, it's no issue. It faced the adjacent building, so I had no traffic or nightclub-related noise issues throughout my stay. I took the suggestion of a previous TripAdvisor to bring my own hangers which was a good idea (would be nice if some were already in the room). Nice that the clock radio has an iPod dock, but do note that it's of the 30-pin variety so iPhones/iPads/iPods from 2012 & later will require an adapter to connect. The room was clean with the exception of the carpeting at the head & foot of the bed which hadn't seen a vacuum in months.

The main improvement I'd make - admittedly difficult to implement - would be to install a small sink in the room. This was the first 'shared bathroom' hotel I've seen without one, and it was an ongoing annoyance. That said, the bathrooms were in good repair and cleaned often (suggestion to management: replace that short shower curtain with something that keeps more of the water in the shower!).

The neighbourhood is nice; a longer walk to fewer subway choices than I'm used to, but not a deal breaker. In my experience the staff were first-class start to finish - including those working the Thursday-Saturday nightclub.

They've got a good thing going here, and long as the price remains reasonable I'll be a returning guest.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Mike W

Hi Mike,

It's a pleasure to hear we are your new home in New York City and that you had such a good time. We will be sure to give the room you stayed in a deep clean. Thank you for your comments! We look forward to your next visit.