“Impressive exterior but mediocre experience staying there.”

The Standard, High Line
Ranked #152 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Free wireless is appalling and the ironing board is only useful if your ironing clothes for someone the size of a oompa - lumpa.

Style over substance I'm afraid.

• Stayed: February 2012
There are newer reviews for The Standard, High Line

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Had another great time at TheStandard NYC. Front desk person Amal Bijou was fantastically nice and helpful during my stay. She rocks. Front Desk Manager Paul Kashman was also very helpful.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

#1: Best Elevator Ride ever
#2: Dream View - had to leave curtains open all night just so i could see the Empire State Building from the bed
#3: Attended a memorable event in The Boom Boom Room and would do it again in a heartbeat

If you plan to self-park and save the extravagant valet fee, drop off your luggage before you go park. If you are staying multiple days, the valet parking is not a bad deal.

Eat at the Chelsea Market nearby, walk the Highline Park. Enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Ask what the views are and specify a view when you book . . . Depending on the room exposure, you c...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We stayed at the Standard on the recommendation of a friend and were very disappointed. Not by the location, which was fabulous, nor by the view from our room, which was also great. But pretty much by all the rest. Before we arrived we had asked to concierge to book a few restaurants for us. For one of the reservations (which the hotel had confirmed) we arrived at the restaurant only to find it was closed.... The staff weren't particularly apologetic, nor did they seem to care. On a different occasion we decided to visit the hotel bar. The bouncer refused to let my husband in, because he judged his pants to be inappropriate... Not a pair of worn-out corduroys, mind you, but designer pants bought in Japan. Surely trendy enough for the vortex of cool and hip that is the Standard?? Apparently not. After arguing with him for a while, my husband returned to the room to change and I went in to order some drinks. By this time the bar refused to serve me, because it was too close to their closing time (which was around 10pm) and sent me to the adjoining bar. They in turn refused to let me in, because they were having a private function. I have never had so much trouble getting a drink in a hotel I was actually staying in. After negotiating with the young, pretty and not very friendly official guarding this entrance, she eventually allowed me in as far as the bar counter and kept a tight watch as I ordered our drinks and slunk off back to our room. We complained to management, who said they would send us complimentary drinks. These arrived almost 2 hours later. The mattress was soft, which didn't help a jetlagged back and the stay overall left us with a bad taste in the mouth. To end on a positive note, the video installations in the lifts were hypnotic (in a good way). Would I return? No.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JezebelleH
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Thanks for your comments. I see that you mention you last stayed with us in June 2011, and also see you left another post close to a year ago sharing these issues. I do apologize for the experience you mention (and mentioned), as this is by no means what we aim for at the hotel and only hope to help our guests experience the best time possible while with us at The Standard. We value the feedback of all of our guests, as it helps us to grow and understand what we did right and where we can improve.
Regards,

David Lemmond

Reviewed 29 February 2012

Last weekend was the third time I stayed at The Standard NY. Incredible as usual, and this time I stayed with my girlfriend in a corner room (1211) featuring the best views of Hudson, downtown and also Mid town/Empire. Mind blowing to wake up with that view every morning (was lucky and had a lot of sun). Great room and I really have no complains.

F&B was great all the way through. Love to start the evening in Bier Garten or at the Boom Boom Room. NY Strip @ Grille is always an experience itself and a late night signature cocktail at Boom Boom tips off an amazing night, even though we call it a standard night:) And when you wake the next day (perhaps with a heavy hangover) don't, for the love of God, miss the room service Standard Burger. No other hotel in the world can compete on that one.

Really, the Standard is an outstanding hotel experience invented by hotel genius Andre Balatz and brought to you by one of the best hotel teams in the world.

Next time I will probably try the new East Village property, but I will always return to the original NY Standard at some point while spending time in NYC.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple