“You need to eat here. Seriously.”
Review of Bar Breton - CLOSED

Neighbourhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between 28th and 29th Streets
Transit: N,R Trains on 28th Street 6 Train on 28th Street
Reviewed 12 December 2011

The restaurant was a few blocks from our hotel and it was just enough walk to get our appetites going. Heard great things and decided to test the place. We were not disappointed!

If you don't want to be disappointed, make reservations even for breakfast. They open at 10am. They were full the day we were there (a Saturday).

My French Toast was presented like a dessert and it was lovely on the palate, aside from the eyes. The Galette (salmon and eggs benedict) others in our party had were generous and raved about as well. We also had coffee, decaf green tea, fresh orange juice, a bread basket (fantastic and freshly baked!) as well as a side of honey bacon. Delicious!!! It's an experience you will remember for the quality and taste. A bit pricey though at $108 for breakfast 4 people, but the portions took us well through to dinner. A m-u-s-t in N-Y-C!

1  Thank FairCritic68

Reviewed 30 November 2011

Had lunch here yesterday. It was a typical New York day. Overcast, windy, grey. My friend and business associate had heard good things about the place. Which is why we were there forma lunch meeting.
I had a soup and a sandwich. The cauiliflower soup was simply devine. With deep fried chorizo strips to give it a sense of definition. Creamy, subtle, warm perfection. The sandwich was ordinary but the soup more than made up for it! I would want to come back for the soup. Only problem is I live a bit off, a couple of continents away!

1  Thank MeenMenon
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We were walking down 5th Avenue during the Veterans' Day Parade and stopped in to the BB. It is a small place but we were very pleasantly surprised at the excellent food. We all had different versions of the soup and sandwich lunch and all enjoyed our food. I highly recommend it. Good value as well.

1  Thank mayflower57
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I visited Bar Breton for lunch as part of a week-long culinary experience/tour. Our guide knew the chef/owner of Bar Breton, which may have been why we got such personal treatment by the owner - Chef Cyril Renaud.
The chef started us with 2 amuse bouches each - his crepe version of a croque monsieur (like a grilled ham and cheese) - which were very good. They were topped with a flavored homemade mayo that was very good. Next we had a huge appetizer of buckwheat crepe with house-smoked salmon. The crepe was rolled around a savory filling and the roll was topped with smoked salmon and micro greens. It was delicious!
Most of the group ordered a fish dish for the main, but I had a duo of chicken - marinated breast and confit thigh. It was good though the breast was slightly overdone. All of the flavors were nice, though.
We were not supposed to get dessert but the chef brought us 6 desserts to share and sample. They were all very rich and delicious.
I would say we each were served at least $60-$70 in food and wine - for lunch, no less! - which is more than I would ever spend on my own. Once we were finished, Chef Renaud sat with us and answered questions and spoke of his restaurant and career. It was a amazing experience. Our guide was constantly giving us details to flesh out the chef's stories. It was a rare opportunity.
The restaurant itself is polished and intimate. The staff was attentive and amazing. I am told by some in the group that live in NYC that the location is a little off the beaten path, but it wasn't but a block or two from a subway station - so it should be accessible to anyone.

1  Thank Curtis24401
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Didn't know crepes could be so good.........great food....great service.....