“Great Sandwich Shop !”

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Gramercy Park
Reviewed 27 December 2016

This place is a little bit off the path in Brooklyn but is worth finding! Great sandwiches and quick service friendly service. Make sure you take cash because they don't accept any credit cards. Be prepared to circle the block to find parking. Parking is tight in this neighborhood.

Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

Visited Defonte's after seeing it on the tv on Diners, Drive In's and Dives or similar whilst back in England. We made an effort to find this deli whilst spending 5 days in New York on holiday.
The deli is easy to find when you get to Redhook. We visited on a hot and sunny day so enjoyed our sandwiches outside. If you were visiting in wet weather however you would probably want to eat in the car or on travels as there is t really anywhere comfy to sit inside.
I had the corned beef and slaw sandwich. The corn beef is different in the USA than back home. I was expecting thick slices like we get back home from the can. This however was thinly sliced and tasted more like regular beef than the canned variety I buy in the supermarkets in England. I guess even though it has the same name we make it differently. I'm glad we do because it was awesome. The sandwich was filled to the brim. I ate mine at 12:30ish and was still full at 7pm so didn't need dinner that evening. Portions are great value. The menu was large with plenty of choice. One thing which would help me however is having a description next to the "sauce". Back home we don't do dressings or sauces as mayonnaise and salad cream is as far as we go!!!, so a few words to describe what's in the sauce would make choosing this easier. E.G ranch, Italian, Roman, French etc. Service was great. Friendly and fast. I wish I could go back but living in southern England it's a bit far!!!. Would recommend to other tourists.

2  Thank emmaj1986
Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

Potato n egg/ eggplant parm
These are some if the best hero sandwiches you ll find
Old school place with old school workers a walk back in time

Reviewed 12 March 2016

IF you like stuffed sandwiches that put even fried in your product this is it. You can hardly eat it all and they have some awesome products for sale oriented towards italian of course.

Reviewed 2 January 2016 via mobile

Had the pork special.,which is roasted sliced pork, fried egplant,brocolli Rabe, provolone cheese and some gravy. It all starts with bread!!!! A Bastone bread with a slightly smoked flavor, crazy.... good. The only way it could have been better is a few jalapeño peppers. A must do!! Btw... have a pickle. Real old school new york deli pickle!!!