“Great tasting menu!”
Review of Jean Georges

Jean Georges
Reserve with OpenTable
Jean Georges is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #116 of 14,125 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$25 - US$170
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: 60th and 61st Streets
Transit: A C, B, D, or 1 line to 59th Street Columbus Circle.
Description: Jean-Georges opened in 1997 to critical acclaim. The jewel of Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s empire, the restaurant offers the very best in fine dining. Consistently awarded four stars by the New York Times and three Michelin stars, Jean-Georges presents exquisitely crafted dishes blending French, American, and Asian influences. The local farmer’s market is the driving force behind the seasonal, ever-changing menu. Chef Jean-Georges is a master at maintaining the essence of ingredients while using them inventively to produce the best flavor. Jean-Georges’ chic and intimate dining room was redesigned by Thomas Juul-Hansen, with striking lighting by L’Observatoire. Impeccable service, tableside preparations, and floor-to-ceiling windows with stunning views of Central Park and Columbus Circle all contribute to an unforgettable dining experience. Jean-Georges offers a three-course prix-fixe menu and two six-course tasting menus: a traditional tasting of the chef’s signature dishes, and a seasonal tasting featuring fresh market ingredients. The prix-fixe and tasting menus are available Monday through Sunday for dinner. The restaurant also offers a two-course lunch menu for a terrific value. Gentleman are required to wear a jacket. No jeans, sweatshirts or sneakers allowed. Tie is not required.
Reviewed 6 January 2017

We went there for lunch tasting menu! Food was amazing and great price-value for a Michelin 3-star restaurant. The food outweighs the price, especially the desert! We enjoyed the tasting menu very much. Will be back for dinner!

Reviewed 6 January 2017

Jackets are required for dinner in the main dining room. They should notify you this when they call to confirm your reservation. I read reviews earlier in the week where some reviewers were sad to see men wearing hoodies or jeans, wich led me to believe I could get away without a jacket but a nice button down, slacks and loafers. What I learned when I walked in is that for lunch they have no dress code, thus those reviews I read must have been for lunch. Having to wear their jacket was embarrassing - esp when I was dressed very nicely compared to some ppl who were eating and looked like it was their first time wearing a suit with a dress shirt 5 sizes too big.... I digress.

The highlights of the night were the butternut squash soup and the scallops, specifically the scallops. The diver scallops were some of the best I've had, the accompanying sauce was magnificent. The soup was rich and decadent.

The dumplings were light and delicious. Make sure you enjoy lots of ginger if you order this. The mushroom salad was fine, nothing to rave home about.

The parmesean crusted chicken had very little sharp/cheese flavor to it. Nothing great there. They should dine at Clarity in Vienna, VA that has the best chicken I've ever had.

The duck breast was cooked perfectly but the sauce it came with was not good and had some odd flavors that made it so I couldn't finish the meal.

All in all, I wouldn't return and head back to Daniel on 65th street instead.

1  Thank LessWork M
Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

Debating whether to give an average (3 stars) or very good (4 rating).

What we loved: they have a very accessible ($50) 2 course lunch menu (I may be a little off with the prices), so it makes trying a 3 star restaurant in manhattan very doable! Well done and alone worth a visit! And this merits a very good rating.

Had a half bottle California white (very very good for a very low price, however we had the last).

Dessert: fabulous mix, also worth it alone.

Having said all this: overall the food was good, while it didn't leave a wow feeling (perhaps I expected too much from a 3star at those prices?). And with 2 kids (no alcohol), reasonable choices for the rest (some extras and wine) and the total check w tip in excess of $750 for lunch made the overall experience quite ok.

So net net: go there, and beware of what you order extra!

Reviewed 6 January 2017

We ate in the dining room at Jean Georges when we visited NYC last January.

I'll start off by saying that the dining room is stunning. Pair that with the fact that their dress code makes it mandatory for men to wear a blazer and you're in for a special evening.

The staff were courteous, polite and attentive. The food was delicious. Fresh, modern and each course complimented the other.

Yes, it's expensive, but what do you expect from a Michelin restaurant?

Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

I went to Jean-Georges on 31st December 12pm, new year's eve lunch with friends to celebrate my husband's birthday and new year's eve.
The female server looked down on us with arrogant attitude all the way.
She did not give us proper explanation for food and when we asked her to take a photo for us, she seemed so unhappy and finished taking pictures in 3 seconds and walked away. We could not use any of photos from her, we asked another male server and he took pictures with friendly attitude.
We were all upset, and compared how she behave at different tables. She spoke slowy and gentle , even explained difficult french words into English with sincere smile for Caucasian customers.
We did not choose this place to be discriminated. Jean-Georges ruined my husband's birthday and the last day of 2016 with my friends.
Food was also not good. This restaurant does not deserve 3 stars.

9  Thank whalswn88