“Excellent stay at great hotel”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #86 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Travelled to NYC for a conference and stayed at the Andaz 5th Avenue between October 13-16, 2011.

I'm nit sure what sorts of rooms or service people encountered with the reviews I've read here, but I have nothing but positives to say. From the speedy check-in by the tablet-toting gal who also showed me my room and its amenities, to the fast room service meals (had great breakfast and dinner), to the folks who seemingly come out of nowhere to open the door for you as you're leaving, I thought the service was top-notch.

And don't get me started on the room. I had booked through Hyatt's website. I had found a sale on expedia.ca for the Large Suite, but knew that Hyatt had their "we'll beat a price you find by 20%" policy, so got what turned out to be a large and lovely room for just over USD$400 a night.

Imagine my surprise when I check into the room and it had an incredible terrace/balcony!! In Midtown!! I didn't read anything about the large suites having a terrace, and it was magnificent. To be able to step outside during a nice weekend and sit on a massive lounger and read the newspaper while looking at the Midtown cityscape and the library was great.

The room itself was spacious, comfortable and stylish. There was the usual "free snacks and drinks" system they had (liked the chips and not having to pay for water). There were two large flatscreen HD televisions, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. There was the iPod docking station, which was great as I could wake up to my own music. And then there was the bathroom.

Oh, the bathroom. How I wish I could tear you down and pack you up to bring home. The rain shower and hand-held unit were great, as were the double sinks and the toilet tucked away. And for those of you who have read the reviews about the lighting and switches to control the lights and the drapes, etc., please note that Andaz is inthe process of changing all the lighting and updating the fancy-pants switches. The lighting was terrific in the bathroom, so all the folks who said you couldn't shave or do anything in there, it is all changing.

What I look for in a hotel when I'm away on business is something that is comfortable and that doesn't detract from what I'm doing, and Andaz 5th Avenue sure delivered. Heck, complimentary wireless Internet would have been good enough, but the services and amenities really threw it over the top for me. Would recommend it highly, especially if you can get the room with the terrace (I was in room 1107).

Room Tip: Room 1107 was wonderful with terrace/balcony
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,600)

Reviewed 9 November 2011

We stayed 4 nights in this hotel and we absolutely loved it. It was a soothing hotel,in contrast to all the hustle and bustle outside. The room was zen, clean, big and comfortable. The view of the NYPL was simply beautiful. The staff is very welcoming and available and everyone seems genuinely concern for your well being. Thank you for a great stay.

Reviewed 9 November 2011

A really fantastic hotel, but some might find it a little strange. Eg there is no lobby/reception, just staff with ipads. while we found that cool, some might find it odd. The bar too, tries to be a little 'too cool for school' & us in our 40's found it a bit stark and intimidating. It was also hard to tell who was a hotel staff member and who wasnt as they all wore slighly different shades of black clothing!
However, overall this was an incredible hotel and very good value for the location which could not be more central. The aforementioned staff were extremely helpful & I really dont want to put people off - just giving my perspective.
Overall, its fantastic!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the library - stunning view.
Reviewed 8 November 2011

By New York standards, this hotel stands high above the rest. I stayed 4 nights in the Large Andaz Suite. The rooms are spacious with high ceilings. There are automatic-electric window shades, very nice. My particular unit even had a balcony. A balcony? This is unheard of in NY hotels. The room comes with complimentary wifi, snacks, soft drinks, and coffee. In the lobby, the hotel offers complimentary soft drinks and wine. The bathroom is absolutely enormous. There is dual sinks, a walk-in shower with rain-fall shower head, and a foot soaking bowl. The toiletries are C.O. Bigelow.

The Midtown location made me think twice about booking a room there, but after research and mapping, the hotel is in a PERFECT location. It's positioned outside the borders of the craziness of Time Square. Its within walking distance to Grand Central Station. The location of the hotel is very central to everything. There's something very soothing about walking towards 5th Avenue and being greeted by the NY Public Library. There's also something special about passing through Bryant Park before calling it a night in your comfortable room.

The staff at the Andaz are nothing short of amazing. They are all very helpful and friendly. I was asked about my stay and the accommodations from the housekeeping, maintenance, and front desk staff. The front desk staff double as your concierge host, they're very knowledgeable about the city and will help book any shows, tours, transportation.

I cannot wait to revisit the big city, I will surely be staying with the Andaz 5th Avenue again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel using our Hyatt points and are we glad we didn't pay for it! First, because we used points we had a tiny, evn by NY standards, king room on a low floor. We did the on-line check-in which meant nothing. Nice touch to serve wine in the lobby but need more and comfier seating. The lobby decor goes with the modernistic theme but not welcoming at all. The rooms have some of the worst lighting I have ever encountered in a hotel, especially trying to put on make-up! There is almost no storage space if you like to unpack your bags. Again, very modernistic, but very cold and unwelcoming. The half open shower means water all over the bathroom floor. If you are going to have an open shower then you must make sure the rain shower is operating properly and not spraying everywhere because the nozzles are clogged.
Now, to the real problems! When we checked out the pillows and found they were feather we immediately called down for foam pillows as neither one of us can sleep on a feather pillow. Imagine our shock when told that they were all gone for the night and call early the next morning for the following night. We have NEVER had a problem getting foam pillows, or extra pillows in ANY hotel, either luxury or budget! We called at 7am the next morning to ask for foam pillows as we were leaving for a day long conference. When we returned to the room at 6pm there were NO foam pillows. When we called down we were again told theey were already gone for the night. They did bring us the last 2 Tempurpedic pillows in the house, better than feather but not my choice pillow either. Obviously a pillow problem here! Also our toiletries were not replaced in the bathroom.
After all that I needed my complimentary wine and the manager, Joseph, was on wine duty at the time. He asked how I was enjoying my stay and, sadly for him, I let him know! He told me they have available extra lighting because they get so many complaints about the poor lighting! The housekeeping manager himself delivered a lighted make-up mirror to the room and apologized for the pillow issue. The only redeeming factor in this saga was the late night knock on the door (I was already asleep) delivering 2 foam pillows, some chocolates and a nice note from Joseph, the manager. Apparently they went out somewhere and got foam pillows for us, but I don't know why it took them so long to do so.
While they did try after a while to make things right, I have stayed at much nicer and more accomodating hotels in NY where we will more likely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and from the reviews here, a suite if you can afford it
3  Thank tammilip