American Museum of Natural History

New York CityPASS
1,775 Reviews
from US$129.00
25,756 results
All reviews hayden planetarium t rex dinosaur skeletons great exhibits general admission new york on display central park animals amnh minerals imax science tickets meteorite floor nyc
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 April 2022 via mobile

When we finally got in the exhibitions were amazing. There is so much to see you could spend all day in the museum if you want to.

The only problem is the system to get in is very poorly managed. We booked a ticket for 1030 but still had to wait in line for around an hour in the pouring rain even though we got there 30 mins as requested prior.

The food was good in the lower floor cafe, this was the only cafe open on the day we visited so it did get very busy but the food was fresh and hot.

Reviewed 8 April 2022

This place is huge and you could spend a whole day there, We visited when there was a Shark exhibition on and it was brilliant, Lots of dinosaurs to see that are enormous, Very well laid out, The planetarium is also well worth a visit while in there .

Reviewed 7 April 2022 via mobile

Not impressed. I waited in 2 lines for an hour and 40 minutes. I purchased my tickets from a 3rd party (Expedia city pass), and we were required to wait in line to get our 2:30 reservation turned into a ticket, waiting with others trying to get their tickets from the museum. I got to the museum at 2:05, hoping to get in for my reservation at 2:30. I got through the line at 3:45. The museum has been open for 150 years, but still can’t figure out tickets. Once I finally got through the line, seeing people leaving left and right, we walked through tens of people scattered across the floor of the lower level. After I passed through, I entered a busy, cramped stairwell between the lower level to the 1st floor. The museum heavily recommends using the explorer app, their navigation app so you can get directions to different exhibits of the museum. The idea is good, but the museum has most routes travel through gift shops, to make you tempted to buy. Not to mention, there are gift shops everywhere. Too many gift shops, and plenty of random exits. Back to the maps, the app is 10 seconds behind your current location, and randomizes the direction your phone is facing. If you are lost due to the random directions, you would expect signage to guide you. Nope. There is little to no signing, and what is there is bad. For the good things, the exhibits were fascinating, and I learned a lot about different indigenous cultures from different parts of the world. There are also interesting animal exhibits, though I didn’t learn much there. There are 4 specials exhibits that you have to pay extra to get into, and I didn’t appreciate that. This caused me to not get a full experience. I am not sure what happened at the museum today, a Wednesday in the early afternoon, but I hope it doesn’t happen in the future. I only recommend if there is evidence that the ticket line issue has been resolved.

1  Thank Tripp W
Reviewed 6 April 2022 via mobile

Bought a timed entry ticket for 45 minutes ago. Still waiting to enter. Going to miss our paid exhibit. I’ve been to this museum 30x and it’s never been like this. Do not do this on your trip. You will have cranky, sad children who have waited 2 years to see dinosaur bones and get an abbreviated visit because they had to wait 1-1.5 hours to even get in.

3  Thank Sydney M
Reviewed 4 April 2022

Had a reservation, which apparently means NOTHING. Literally hundreds of people waiting to get in. All the people I spoke to had reservations too. Security confirmed that everyone had to wait in line. What's the point of having a reservation? Mass confusion among patrons. We walked away. Museum must come up with a reservation system that works and honor those reservations.

4  Thank Lorraineti