All reviewsgrand streetnever felt unsafebooked roomseasy walking distancestayed here for nightscentral park
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Stayed four nights and was pretty satisfied with the stay. It's a smoking hotel, so all of the rooms smell like smoke, the hallway, lobby and elevator smell of it, too. The carpet in our room seemed like it hadn't been cleaned in awhile, but the hotel must have heard this one before because they provide complimetary slippers.

When I first sat on the bed it was like sitting on a block on cement. It was so hard that when I plopped down, I hurt myself. There is absolutely no cushion, no bounce, no movement to this bed. But surprisingly I had one of the best sleeps I've ever had. It's the strangest thing...

The wifi was hit or miss. I asked the front desk to help and they were pretty useless. If you're expecting good customer service, you're not going to find it here. The front desk doesn't have any interest in telling where to go, how to get there, or provide any general information about the property. This wasn't a problem for us since we got in late every night and left really early.

It's a prime location for the price.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CamilleAnn
Reviewed 15 February 2012

the place is great near to soho, little italy...
BUT our room was not clean and the bathroom also..
it was terrible...
never again for this money..

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Yasemin K
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Great location - in walking distance of the Metro, Little Italy, East Village - very basic amenities.
You may need to ask for extra towels, or toilet roll- Happy with Clean beds. Bathroom could be updated - as with the carpeting throughout the property. Located on Forsyth Street opposite open community space/park. Nice change from being boxed in.

Room Tip: Some corner rooms have double windows with views of the NYC skyline.Worth the extra $$.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank HalBoston
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Stayed here 3 nights, the first night I had a really hard bed and would have done better sleeping on the floor. The night shift clerk "starting at midnight" is a real jerk and does not help or know anything. had message light on the phone and he said there are no messages "written" for you. asked how I listen to my phone messages and all he could say is call back in the morning to talk to the manager. The room is very clean, it does not have a fridge as stated by write up and are very small. The price is right for $70.00 per night but I would not pay any more for it. It is in china town which is very run down, I never had any problems walking around even late at night when returning at 2am. There is a corner store across the street which is open til 12am and the hotel is close by to little italy and is in china town. It is right on the Grand street subway D line with access to anywhere you want to go. There is an excellent cafe about 3 blocks away called the cup and saucer which has 2 greek cooks. It is a small place with limited seating but the food and prices are awesome. You can easily get filled up for breakfast for about 7.00 here including your coffee "remember I said greek so it is thick and strong coffee". Over on allen st there is an excellent bar that has live country/folk music nightly with each band playing for about 1 hr sets. Over all for my first time to NY it was a clean, safe and comfortable room with really good front desk staff in the morning and afternoon who are quite knowledgeable and helpful with directions.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the first floor, it is noisey with the front desk close by. the only added amentity that the room has is a hair dryer and don't forget to ask for an extra roll of toilet paper.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Bruce D
Reviewed 17 December 2011

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel first week of December.
I don’t have anything to complain about. Rooms was clean, free wifi, very quit a night and the best thing – only 1 min walk from Grand Street Subway that has excellent connection both up- and down town.
However didn’t expect the hotel to e in the middle of China town and if I ever come to NY again I will look for a hotel where I get more value for money.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple