“Don't stay here!”
Review of Windsor Hotel

Windsor Hotel
Ranked #450 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 September 2016

Awful hotel. No amenities in the room. No tissues, note pad or pen, no hotel brochures etc. No microwave, no mini bar fridge, nothing. Room was not clean when I arrived, stained sheets, dirt, dust and crumbs on the floor, the air con unit was filthy, the towels were only slightly bigger than a tea-towel and some of them were stained (although I was told not dirty, just permanently stained!!!) I found a bug in the bed on arrival. TV channels were very limited and signal would cut out EVERY few minutes on EVERY channel EVERY day, not just once or twice. Service was terrible with no smile (except for one lovely lady). The young guy who checked me in had a cold and was sniffing and wiping his nose constantly then handled my passport and credit card (funny how I got the same cold a few days later!!!!) Housekeeping changed my sheet that was stained but no apology, didn't offer to re vacuum and couldn't move me to another room as full, appalling customer service (I work in a 4.5 star hotel, I KNOW customer service and that was not it!). Room extremely noisy as by a lift and all the guests staying tended to shout in their own language outside the lift at all times of the day and night! Had a great view of the park but very noisy each morning with Chinese style music being played by groups of people doing exercises. I did not feel safe in this hotel as I was not made to feel welcome. I was not asked how I enjoyed my stay when I checked out or thanked for staying. Whilst the bed was comfy and three subway stops all on the corner by the hotel, I will never stay again and do not recommend.

Room Tip: If you HAVE to stay here, ask for a room NOT by the lift
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
4  Thank Alison S

Reviewed 13 September 2016

We got well situated room (view to street, ESB and OWTC)
Size of room was acurate, furniture OK; Bathroom was clean
small minus for carpet (i dont like carpet in hotel, it is often dusty)
Staff was nice and friendly

Room Tip: We had room 302, it is on corner with good view to street, Empire state building and One World Trade...
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Libor P
Reviewed 9 August 2016 via mobile

Staff was nice. Room was small. Tv channels not so great. But then again we were out in city a lot. Only two towels to the room. Kept asking for two extra. Staff had no problem getting it for us. No vending machines. Staff sells soda and water in the lobby. Convenience store very close for snacks. Traffic quiet. MTA orange line subway nearby . Used it everyday to get to city. Next time I'll request king size bed instead of queen. Walking distance to Italy . I will most likely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bianca366
Reviewed 16 July 2016 via mobile

We stayed there for 5 days. The only thing I'd be able to complain is the carpet floor. Other than that, great staff- they were really polite And helpful. They offer toiletries, including tooth brushes. There's a metro station a block away, só even when we got back, we never felt unsafe (we were in 3 girls). It's in Chinatown, but really close to Little Italy. Will recomend to everyone going to NY! Good price for a great place.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cynthia Muller d
Reviewed 8 July 2016

The Windsor Hotel just gave me the single most skin-crawlingly disgusting hotel experience I've ever had. Two words sum it up:

BED. BUGS.

I booked two nights here because of the price (cheap) and location (LES). The first night passed uneventfully. The next day I started noticing bumps on my arm - many of them. I dismissed them as, perhaps, mosquito bites (I'd spent the previous evening near the water). I was in for a rude awakening.

I woke up the second night with a distinct feeling of something crawling on my arm. I brought my phone up to my face and illuminated the scene - three bed bugs feasting away. I knocked them off and smashed them into the pillow, where they EXPLODED (my) blood onto the cheap white cotton pillowcase. Horrified, I flipped on the overhead light to find bed bugs both large and small scurrying towards any crevice they could find. I got up and went into the bathroom, where the bumps I had seen previously had raised up into full-blown welts. New bumps were also on my arms, my face, my neck. I literally wanted to throw up, and probably the only thing that prevented that happening was how angry I was. I went back to my bed and literally caught a bed bug to take downstairs to the front desk. I let it out of the wash rag I had it in and showed the desk clerk, who instantly apologized and was embarrassed. I demanded a refund and immediate room change, both of which he granted. I asked him if all the rooms here were infested or just the one I was in, to which he sheepishly replied that this was the first complaint this whole month (!!!!!!!!).

In other words, there are bed bug outbreaks at this place on a monthly or near-monthly basis folks. So if they go a whole month without someone complaining about bed bugs I guess they think they're doing a pretty good job. OK......

I got out of the hotel by 8am, utterly exhausted as I could barely sleep after this incident and was probably imagining even more critters crawling all over me. I bagged up all my belongings and am now at a laundry mat washing all of it. I threw away my luggage just in case. You are going to think I am exaggerating - I am not - but I have counted all the bites on my upper torso and have come up with a grand total of SEVENTY-TWO BITES.

This doesn't even mention how funky this place was, that the hot water boiler was broke when we got there (couldn't take a shower first day), that everything was covered in dust. I am not a complainer and I would have been able to stand those things had it not been for the bugs. I started a profile just to add my two cents.

BOTTOM-LINE: If saving some cash for a hotel room is worth taking a risk of laying your face down on a BED BUG NEST then by all means take the gamble. Otherwise, pass on the take-out a few nights a week, save up some cash, and get a real place - even a corny chain like holiday inn will do. Windsor Hotel is infested.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family