“Best bagel I've ever had!!!”

Tompkins Square Bagels
Ranked #6 of 389 Bakeries in New York City
Cuisines: American
Neighbourhood: East Village
Neighbourhood: East Village
Reviewed 31 December 2016

I was looking for a good bagel place and this place was close to my friend's apartment, so we went one morning. I wasn't sure what to get so I got a pretty basic bagel - plain bagel with lox spread. We took our bagels out to Tompkin's Square Park to eat, and as soon as I took my first bite, I was in heaven. It was the best bagel I've ever eaten!

The bagel was chewy and the perfect combination of airy and dense. And the lox spread was full of smoked salmon flavor and very fluffy. They put a lot of cream cheese on the bagel, so they won't cheat you of that.

Don't get intimidated by the line. It will most likely be very long, but it moves quickly. And it is definitely worth the wait!! I also got a coconut water and it was very good, even if it was pricey. I think it was a local brand. So overall, a great experience. I will definitely be coming back the next time I'm in New York.

Reviewed 17 December 2016

It can be hard to narrow down your bagel options in NYC, but this one had me sold as soon as I heard about their legendary homemade birthday cake cream cheese.

...and it seems like New Yorkers would agree, because when I got there on a Sunday morning, the queue stretched onto the footpath and snaked around towards the counter!! However, the wait itself isn't actually too long, because they very cleverly have several servers going through the queue with pads, taking orders and passing them to the kitchen, such that by the time you get to the registers, your order is ready to go!

The bagels are amazing and the absolute plethora of filling options is impressive. Look no further if you want an authentic bagel fix!!

Reviewed 13 December 2016 via mobile

We loved our experience at Tompkins Square Bagels. The gluten free bagel was absolutely amazing. It was also great to have dairy free cream cheese. We would absolutely recommend this bagel shop to others with similar dietary issues!

1  Thank Gigi16012810
Reviewed 8 December 2016

This place was packed when we went. The bagels are extremely good and authentic NY Bagels. They have an awesome selection of breakfast sandwiches and crazy types of cream cheese. I suggest getting the Weezer breakfast sandwich. Definitely will return.

Reviewed 6 December 2016 via mobile

Two mornings. Two bagel breakfasts. Yesterday a toasted everything with scallion cream cheese, today a toasted everything with whitefish salad. Both great. Bagel was crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. My idea of a perfect bagel. It's the real McCoy, full of flavor. Took me off the regular diet but hey, I'm in New York! A couple of days of great bagels will improve my mental health.

Go to the website to see the variety of bagels and spreads. It's impressive.

Also - they had fantastic Black and Whites. The real NY kind, soft cookie with flavorful icing.

I don't get into who has the best, it's so subjective. How about this - if you're staying in the area (Alphabet City, right next to Tompkins Square Park) this place is great. Highly recommended.