“The Croque-Monsieur is to die for.”
Review of Cafe Luxembourg

Cafe Luxembourg
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Luxembourg is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #413 of 14,122 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Amsterdam
Transit: 1,2,3 at 72nd Street
Description: Cafe Luxembourg is a charming French bistro in New York offering a delicious seasonal menu and an impressive full service bar. Whether you are in the mood for a romantic dinner for two or a lively brunch with friends, Cafe Luxembourg provides a uniquely intimate ambience in the middle of the city. Located on 70th Street just west of Broadway, Cafe Luxembourg entertains celebrities and locals alike. Our seasonal menu is on par with the city’s best restaurants, with options for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed 31 January 2016

One of my favourite brunch places in the neighbourhood. Always packed and always a good atmosphere. Pro-tip: order the croque-monsieur it is delicious and easily the best I have eaten in New York City.

Morgan N, Manager at Cafe Luxembourg, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2016

Ravnoss, it was a pleasure to read this review and see that we're one of your favorite brunch spots in the UWS. Thank you for the extraordinary compliment.

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 31 January 2016

My wife and I had a lovely lunch at Cafe Luxembourg which was established 32 years ago. The place seems to be very popular with the locals.The staff was very friendly and professional. The interior is great and the food fresh and tasty. The steak tartare was excellent as well as the cocktails we had with it. We highly recommend this French style Brasserie (don't forget to ask for a free postcard of the place!)

1  Thank RROesch

We're delighted to hear that you and your wife loved our experience so much! Next time you're in NYC, we certainly hope to have you back again.

Reviewed 19 January 2016

A great place to go, especially if you're going to Lincoln Center afterwards. It has the feel of a French bistro. Great entrée selection, portions just right. Service impeccable.

1  Thank C B
Morgan N, Manager at Cafe Luxembourg, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2016

Thank you for the kind words here! We're delighted to be a favorite spot of yours to get a meal before a show at the Lincoln. Next time you're in the neighborhood, we hope to see you here again.

Reviewed 12 January 2016

A trendy, casual restaurant with exceptional service. The food was very good. I was however, disappointed with the strip steak special. It was tough and chewy. Soups and salad were very good as well. I would be willing to return to try again.

1  Thank lovetennis99
Morgan N, Manager at Cafe Luxembourg, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2016

Thanks for your feedback here. We're sorry the strip didn't necessarily exceed your expectations -- if the temperature or consistency is ever off, please let us know and we will get it taken care of for your immediately. Aside from that, we're happy to know you really enjoyed your experience, and we can't wait to have you back again very soon!

Until then,

Reviewed 11 January 2016 via mobile

When Cafe Luxembourg first opened in 1983, I was a young auctioneer at Sotheby's and the Upper West Side was still sketchy. This was the type of place you only went to if you were deeply in the know. My clients took me--the WASPy investment banker with his African American model wife, the hottest and chicest experts at Sotheby's sometimes included me. I remember that the original Maitre D was so impossibly handsome that I would hope our seating was delayed so I could just stare at him.

Well, it's 30 years later and I'm still going. This is perhaps not the "it" place it was when it first opened, but in many ways it's even better, even more than it was. This has become the type of mainstay restaurants that real New Yorkers frequent, the ones who have seen everything and eaten everywhere, because there is a consistently high level of quality, comfort and attractiveness.

For powerful and talented New Yorkers, this is the kind of place you go for a quiet night out--the New York equivalent of hitting the McDonalds drive thru. Over the years, I've seen the famous, Joel Grey talking theater with Phyllis Newman, Malcolm Getz with spouse and posse and Tatum O'Neal while in town doing the morning show circuit. No gawking, no autographs. Just neighborhood folks in a comfortable setting. But also, the professionals, the high powered and just the hungry.

Don't get me wrong--the food is excellent but it's really comfort and discernment that are being served here. Over the years, the French bistro food and decor have become much more common and this is perhaps not as unique as it was in 1983, but there are signature dishes that are still great, including the Frisée salad, steak tartare as both appetizer or entree, the Lobster roll, the Cassoulet and of course the great ice cream sundae or profiteroles. The latter comes with a pitcher of the best chocolate sauce ever. I've often wanted to ask the waiter for a straw so I could just drink it. It's that good.

As I looked at the other reviews, it was interesting to me that many of the worst reviews came from people who lived far away from New York and many of the best came from people who lived nearby. If you're a tourist getting a pre-Lincoln Center theater dinner here and you expect that New Yorkers eat Chateaubriand and flaming baked Alaska while wearing Dynasty era shoulder pads and ball gowns, you won't get it. You'll miss every morsel of discernment and comfort being served to you. Go to the Olive Garden in Times Square and relish in your unlimited breadsticks.

Cafe Luxembourg is the restaurant version of a Woody Allen movie. It will give you a very authentic look at how New Yorkers eat. If you want the real deal, this is where you go.

1  Thank Zzardvark

Wow, this is probably one of the nicest reviews we have ever received. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it and for being such a good friend to us for over three decades. The stories and experience you described are really and truly what we're about here. We look forward to sharing many more meals with you here in the neighborhood in the future!