“Excellent ambiance and service, good food. Shame about the cake. ”
Review of Cafe Sabarsky

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Manhattan
Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

Our waiter immediately replaced my rock-hard Esterhazyschnitte cake with the delicious Feuilletine. But why was it not good in the first place? Was the inedible cake layer stale? Was the whole thing just served straight from the cold fridge? It was very cold. Don’t they have enough orders to keep some warming to room temperature at all times?

The main savory dishes were all delicious, although the mushroom spaetzle could have benefitted from more mushrooms and fewer peas.

Delicious drinks.

All in all a great place for lunch.

Reviewed 27 December 2017

I visited Café Sabarsky on a recent trip to New York, and absolutely loved it. I was in Austria earlier this year, and Café Sabarsky perfectly (almost uncannily) captures the experience of being in a Viennese café.

We arrived at 5:00 p.m. on a Saturday, and there was no wait that early in the evening. My friend and I shared an order of the Wiener schnitzel with potato-cucumber salad and lingonberries and an order of the spätzle. The schnitzel was lovely, but I'll admit I've had better potato-cucumber salad. The lingonberries were an unexpected pleasure, as I've only encountered them in Scandinavian cuisine, never German, and were delicious on caraway bread. The spätzle was fairly good, although in my ideal world, I would have loved to see Käsespätzle with fried onions on the menu! We finished the meal with a wonderful slice of chocolate hazelnut torte.

The only thing that detracted a little from the meal was the service. Before we had even gotten the receipt and credit card back from our server, the hostess was asking us to vacate our table "because there was a line." (There was one party waiting.)

However, all in all, I enjoyed Café Sabarsky very much. It can be difficult finding German food in the U.S., as it's not everyone's cup of tea, so I'm always glad to discover a great new German or Austrian restaurant.

Reviewed 12 December 2017

There are two parts to this cafe: at the entry floor and downstairs. The entry floor cafe often has long lines while the downstairs has none. Same food in both places. And what food! From breakfast, to lunch and Austrian Kaffee, all is here. Wonderful sausages, spätzle, gulasch, the works! And the desserts! Real Linzer Torte (not as sweet as it is often produced in the US), real Sacher Torte (as much as it is allowed outside the Hotel Sacher in Wien), Apfelstrudel, etc. It's very difficult to choose, so although the food is pricey repeat visits are necessary!

Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

Waited briefly and were fortunate to get a window seat which is quite attractive and offers a bit more privacy.
Still the classic menu, and a nice list of wines by the glass.
The wines and salads were enjoyable, as was the coffee.
Lots of beautiful deserts on offer also.
Expensive but a lovely Viennese style lunch on 5th ave.
Recommended.

Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

Appealing cafe is part of the Neue Gallery. Reservations are for members only but arrive early 11:30 am for lunch and there shouldn’t be a long wait.

Very nice Assortments of wine, salads, sandwiches, coffees and desserts. The beet salad with feta and crab salads were very tasty.

No sooner do you sit down (within a minute) you’re asked for your order. We said we need a few minutes to look at the menu and within a minute the waiter is rushing for your order. We found the waiters unpleasant and they exuded no warmth. ... no one said ‘Welcome!’. This is a very nice and expensive cafe, so an unpleasant staff can set a bad tone.

We ordered 2 cappuccinos and a Viennese apple strudel to share. Upon trying to cut the flaky but hard dessert, the dull knife jerked back spilling one of the cappuccinos. We tried sopping up the spilt drink but with only paper napkins the spill became messier. As we were sitting next to the hostess I asked for help explaining the dull knife couldn’t cut the streusel and she replied “We don’t have any other knives.”. It took two minutes before ‘pushy’ waiters (who were earlier rushing us), returned to clean the mess which managed to get on one of our shirts.

We had to ask for the cappuccino to be replaced.

We left a more than generous tip and not even a courteous thank you.

Management really must address the staff’s deficiencies as the cafe will discourage diners from becoming repeat customers and will advise other potential diners that the staff and service are not professional or courteous.

I would have rated this cafe excellent, however, based on the staffs’ behaviour it wasn’t warranted.

2  Thank ottawa198