“Live music”

Price range: US$0 - US$20
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Description: Cleopatra's Needle, named after the famed monument in New York's Central Park, is a world-renowned New York hot spot known for serving up food, drinks and hot live jazz to the New York jazz community. Our original cuisine has been featured on TV Food Network's "$40 a day", and we offer the best of New York's live jazz scene, with no cover charge. Our famed jazz jam sessions have attracted both the up-and-coming and the well-known stars of the jazz world. Weekly open mic for singers sessions and late night jam sessions provide a jazz feast for night owls, as well as a chance for young musicians and seasoned professionals to hone their skills, and trade hot licks. We also now have a top-of-the line grand piano. We have been featured in Downbeat magazine's international club guide, "100 Great Venues to Hear Jazz"
Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

Very small spot but the band or jazz playing is fantastic. I like to sit by a window every time I go because the place is so little you will be right next to the band and you won't be able to have a conversation. However, the bar might be a little tight but you will be able to sit comfortably. I always have the Penne ala vodka. Very good.

1  Thank Sara S

Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

Go for the live music and vibrant ambiance. I recommend the moussaka and the pasta al pesto. Drinks are expensive, but arrive before 7 pm for the daily happy hour discounts. Order enough drinks to last you until the music starts at 8pm!

Reviewed 15 August 2016

This place is wonderful for one fact and one fact only. It keeps jazz alive and gives singers and musicians the chance to perform. But at their expense. Twice a week is an open mic for singers. So people come in to hear. The singers don't get paid. The owner does. So he really uses talented musicians and singer and makes money off them. Drinks are small but cost is not because people are getting free music, at the artists expense. I have experienced incidents when the owner just throws people out and never lets them back in. And not for just cause. He is a very angry mean man . They have a jazz band every night and musicians sit in...without pay..I hadn't been there for a long time but went in the other night. The woman next to me nicely said to the bartender, it's awfully hot in here could they put on more air conditioning. She said it nicely. Shortly the owner came over to her and said curtly, it's as cold as it gets. If you don't like it leave......I was shocked to here his tone. She left... singers and musicians I know you want to perform but this man is making himself rich using you.

2  Thank NewYorkAnnie13
cleoNewYork, General Manager at Cleopatra's Needle, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2016

We have got an answer for your review from the book that leaves not a small thing nor a great thing but hath counted it " The (faithful) slaves of the Beneficent are they who walk upon the earth modestly, and when the foolish ones address them answer: Peace "

Reviewed 14 August 2016

We came for a late lunch. We had a toddler with us. The restaurant only has one high-chair and a child was using it so we had to sit the toddler in a regular seat. The service was slightly above average. They do serve pita bread (upon request) prior to the meal. It was warm and served with butter. Very good. The food was good and came out fresh and warm. I ordered Moussakah. It is Baked layers of eggplant stuffed with ground beef, topped with a béchamel sauce and cheese. I've never had that before, but I would not order it again. However, I ate all of it because I was very hungry. I will post a photo of my plate.

Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

Went for dinner. Great live Jazz every night! We had the hummus and mussels, they were both delicious. Very small and intimate inside, but it definitely has a lot of character.