“Wonderful basic French food, pretty good service”
Review of L'Absinthe - CLOSED

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between 2nd & 3rd Avenues
Transit: 6 train to 68th St/Hunter College; F train to Lexington Ave/63rd St.
Description: Found on Manhattan's Upper East Side, L'Absinthe Brasserie has an air of Parisian elegance and draws in a chic crowd. L'Absinthe NYC blends authentic Parisian favorites with modern French cuisine. The classic Parisian bistro-style decor, Art Nouveau lampadaires and intimate dining booths at L'Absinthe Brasserie restaurant create a warm, inviting ambience. The wine list is extensive and eclectic. Having worked in Michelin starred restaurants, head chef Jean-Michel Bergougnoux creates superbly crafted French classics. Authentic dishes on the L'Absinthe menu include foie gras and chicken liver mousse, classic Dover sole meuniere or fresh beef tartare. Vibrant and eclectic, other modern favorites include pan seared black sea bass with fresh peas, lobster salad with salmon tartare or slow cooked rabbit leg with baby artichokes. L'Absinthe on East 67th Street is a chic Parisian-style New York restaurant, with efficient and friendly service. The exquisite turn-of-the century Parisian cuisine makes L'Absinthe a true brasserie favourite with New Yorkers.
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We have not been to L'Absinthe for years, but we had a young friend with us from out of town and her choice was French. This is a very nice spot- they were able to take us easily on a Saturday night- and the waitress was delightful and friendly. The service was a bit slow and otherwise this might justify five stars. We had vichysoisse for an app, one hot and one cold, and a splendid mushroom and tomato and cheese salad. Mains were a lovely duck confit and a hangar steak, borh perfectly cooked, and an octopus on toast in a wine and butter sauce. For dessert we had a terrific Paris Brest, which they brought three plates for. A nice evening out. The ambience is much like a classic French restaurant in the 1970s either in France or here, neither of which exists today.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful restaurant with great service and food! We had a fabulous dinner here while enjoying great ambiance. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have lived in my building on E. 68th in NYC for around 25 years...

I am a creature of habit.

I don't even recall WHEN we had started eating at L'Absinthe across the street on E 69th... but, it was close and reasonably always good with (mostly) fresh oysters all winter, Alsace specialties and good pates.

I both know and LIKE all the service staff. Great people working through things and such.

We go there at least 1 or 2 times per week.

Tonight... we ordered a special appetizer: raw tuna loin, which was amazing...and an escargot which is good , but, never great (canned snails being the cause I think)... but, they are still always good.

For our main courses, we ordered 2 - 12oz. NY Strip Steaks reasonably priced at 40$$$ each.

They came crispy and dark and dry on the outside on a warm (not Hot) plate.
With a beautiful cup of pommes frites and gravy.

Mine was "carpaccio" instead of medium and so I sent it back...

And so 55 seconds later, it came back (as I was tasting the end of my dining companions perfectly cooked steak).

My now tough, dried out, too hot to consume yet seeping, NY Strip was on a burning hot plate in a puddle of it's former savory juices.

At Ponderosa, this may work... It's $12.99 with unlimited shrimp, unlimited Alaskan Crab and salad bar.

When lunch for 2 is over 100$ and dinner is 200$ ???

C'nest pas bien.

Try Cognac, D'Orsay.

"Everything comes and goes..."

1  Thank JohnRusnak10065
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Six of us had dinner at L'Absinthe following a high school reunion, and I guess that I was to blame as I had chosen the restaurant based on its location and the fact that it had a French name. To be brief, two of us ordered the steak which we both returned as much to tough, stringy and not worth the money. We were, to the restaurant's credit, given our money back for one of the two dinners. The other four in our group were satisfied, but certainly not ecstatic, about their meals. I doubt we would go there again but I would certainly not place this restaurant at, or even near, the bottom of my list of places in which to dine.

1  Thank Stephen607
Reviewed 30 June 2014

For 20 years, this place has been one of the best french bistro/brasseries in NY.
Very good food, excelent atmosphere.