“Best Dover Sole in town”
Review of La Grenouille

La Grenouille
Reserve with OpenTable
La Grenouille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #109 of 14,473 Restaurants in New York City
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between Fifth and Madison Avenues
Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

My wife and I had the pleasure of our fourth visit to "the temple" in as many years. Perfect service, atmosphere and food--as always. From the noise and crowds on the street one enters a sort of cocoon, filled with flowers, white linen, velvet banquets. The Dover sole is better than at Le Bernardin, and the prices are not as steep.

1  Thank Richard M

Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

Was in newyork on business and we often visit here and the meal is always amazing. French dining and the atmosohere is romantic. The staff are happy and so attentive. will book again for our visit in the summer

Reviewed 23 May 2017

This was our first visit to La Grenouille, as we had two milestone birthdays to celebrate and it seemed like the right setting for such important occasions. We have probably had 240 dinners in NYC over the years and now wonder why it took us so long to dine here. it certainly ranks in the top dining experiences we have had, anywhere. Every aspect hit the mark, in our opinion.

Yes the prices are high, especially for dinner (as prix fee is the only option except for pre-theatre). But surprisingly, I am rating the "value" also as 5 stars because you are paying for the total experience.

This is one of the loveliest dining rooms anywhere. Upon entrance, I knew we were in for an exceptional evening. Unlike many restaurants that are "traditional" in menu and service, there is nothing stuffy about the decor, it is light and elegant. It was a warm spring evening and the room felt like springtime. We also got a very nice table, considerably larger than most "tables for two" and it gave both of us a view of the dining room (vs one of us having to have our backs to the room).

Many choices on the menu. Dover sole is a specialty (which I ordered) and the preparation, service and portion size were all wonderful. Another specialty is soufflé, many flavors offered including some non-traditional, but we both chose the classic grand marnier. The wine list is very extensive and while there are extremely expensive bottles, especially premier french reds, we were able to find many wonderful choices below $100.

Service was probably the best we have ever seen, very attentive, well paced and discreet. Multiple servers knew exactly the right time to refill the water glass, the wine glasses, clear the amuse bouche or appetizer plates, etc. But no one hovered. We dined at our own pace! There was nothing stuffy about the staff. Every question about menu and wine list was welcome.

And one of the few restaurants we have been in within the last 10-12 years that was actually quiet. I don't mean stuffy quiet, or like a tomb, as the tables were full and there was plenty of chatter and laughter among the diners. But there was good spacing between the tables. The design includes enough textiles to cut down on ambient noise (vs the warehouse style and open kitchen concepts that add to the vibe at many popular and trendy places.)

I see a number of critical reviews, and certainly for a high price diners should be able to expect a lot. And we have a number of foodie friends who would probably be bored here. Not a fennel powder dusted dish in sight. And no curated playlist ( as I recall, no music at all!)

We spend considerable time each year in foodie locales like NYC and Charleston which have have plenty of places (that we know and love) with novel food preparations, customized cocktail menus, a buzz and a vibe and a cool, modern decor. We have James Beard chefs in our hometown. But isn't there also a place for a dining room that is quiet, elegant, gracious, where one can feel that the entire experience is special? Dining preferences have changed, and there are fewer of those places each year. I am glad to have found another.

2  Thank hazelmom
Reviewed 19 May 2017

Conveniently located just off 5th Avenue at 52nd Street, La Grenouille offers to its demanding clientele a fine menu offering a diverse variety of dishes, comfortable seating, superb food, and excellent service. I especially like their lobster bisque soup and the smoked salmon, but have never had anything but a delicious meal handsomely served at La Grenouille.. The helpful staff will cater to your every need, going out of their way to please you.

Reviewed 18 May 2017 via mobile

My daughter and I wanted a special evening out (dinner and theater) in NYC before she moves to the other coast. She wanted French so I chose La Grenouille. We were not disappointed! From atmosphere, to menu choices, and amazing attentive service it was a perfect evening. We were given the option of ala carte menu or the pre fixe. Both menus had plenty of options but we went with pre fixe. I won't go into great detail on the food---it was delicious! Rose champagne with our appetizer, wonderful Pinot noir with my entree and a complimentary glasses of champagne with dessert from the chef/owner after my daughters smile caught his attention while he was in the dining room speaking to his regular customers! Our captain and wait staff were superb without being stuffy. The enormous flower arrangements were impressive. The whole experience was exactly what we were looking for. Was it pricey? Yes! We were celebrating however and I knew before I went what the bill would be so I was not disturbed when the bill came ;-) I will absolutely go to La Grenouille again but order ala carte and enjoy the evening without breaking the bank. However, I wouldn't hesitate to go whole hog here again either :-)