“Very good bistro food”
Review of DB Bistro Moderne

DB Bistro Moderne
Reserve with OpenTable
DB Bistro Moderne is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #251 of 14,130 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: between 5th and 6th Avenues
Transit: Subway 1,2,3,7,A,C,E,N,Q,R,W Stop at 42nd St. Times Square Subway B,D,F,V Stop at 42nd St. & 6th Avenue
Description: Experience the new db bistro moderne! Chef Daniel Boulud's contemporary French bistro has undergone a complete renovation. With the addition of a handsome new cocktail bar, and a newly-crafted menu by Executive Chef Jim Burke in collaboration with Daniel Boulud. db bistro serves updated bistro classics with a modern twist and market-driven French-American cuisine. Located one block East of Times Square, db bistro is the perfect spot for pre- and post-theater dining, a Midtown business lunch or breakfast 'L'Express' of cappuccino and viennoisserie at the bar. A $48 pre-theater prix-fixe dinner menu is available in addition to a full a la care menu. The Lunch Prix Fixe menu will have you back to your desk of off to a matinee quickly and affordably. DB is happy to host large parties and private events from 14-165 guests.
Reviewed 2 October 2016

Came here for dinner with two friends.

Starters were beef carpaccio, a special of two pates and lobster salad. For mains we had parsley-coated halibut; grilled salmon; octopus with chorizo and duck confit.

Everything was delicious. You can tell the ingredients were absolutely fresh. The pates were rich and 'earthy'; the beef carpaccio very good with the roasted garlic a nice addition; the octopus tender and the halibut wonderful with a rich boullibase-style sauce with wild rice.

We shared a very nice cheese platter; and also the roasted peaches. The latter was superb.

We had a chablis and a very nice Prisoner red from California - the latter had a rich nose and flavours but was very light on the palate. Both were great recommendations from the sommelier.

$630 with tip for four. Expensive but the food is very good as was the service. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank AMRFamily
TheDinexGroup, General Manager at DB Bistro Moderne, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2016

Your thoughtful review and kind compliments are greatly appreciated, thank you. We take great pleasure knowing how much you enjoyed dining with us, and hope to serve you again soon. Gratefully, Rachel Ossakow, db Bistro Moderne

Reviewed 27 September 2016 via mobile

We were looking for a good place to eat before a Broadway show...
db bistro did not deliver.
Expensive for food that was mediocre.
The db speciality burger was recommended by our server but was not very good.
Although, the Service was very good and The Bar was very good ~ the Drinks we got were excellent.
Food should be better ~

1  Thank AlabamaTraveljunkie
TheDinexGroup, General Manager at DB Bistro Moderne, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2016

Thank you for choosing db Bistro Moderne, and for your kind compliments, however, we are sorry your meal was not to your expectations. I would appreciate having the opportunity to discuss the details with you. Please send me your email or phone number to rossakow@danielnyc.com and I will contact you directly. Respectfully, Rachel Ossakow, db Bistro Moderne

Reviewed 27 September 2016

I was in town with my parents and sister, all of us from different cities, meeting in NYC to celebrate a birthday weekend.
Realizing we had one night without a dinner planned, and that the restaurant was steps from the Sofitel where we were staying, we were able to book the day before through Amex. They gave us a cozy booth and it was top notch service from start to finish. Our server was excellent, as were the cocktails, wine by the glass and share plates to start. Two people had the special pasta with braised rabbit and chicken broth - rave reviews! The ravioli in brown butter was also very special. Desserts were delicious and as a nice touch they wrote Happy Birthday on my sister's plate. Prices were more than reasonable considering NYC and the quality of food/service.
Couldn't have asked for a better (yet unpretentious) family dinner. Thank you and can't wait to bring my husband and son next time!

1  Thank jenlikesbeaches
TheDinexGroup, General Manager at DB Bistro Moderne, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2016

Dear Jen, We loved helping make your family’s birthday celebration weekend special! Your wonderful compliments for your cuisine, drinks and the service you received made our day, and we thank you for your fantastic review. Be sure to say hello to me when you visit us with your husband and son, the next time you are in NYC, so I can thank you personally. Gratefully, Rachel Ossakow, db Bistro Moderne

Reviewed 26 September 2016

Just had gotten into town from Grand Central and needed a quick meal. It was in between breakfast and lunch with a limited bar menu. Split the original DB Burger. Delicious! They served us with our own plates with pommes frites! This sirloin burger is filled with braised short ribs, foie gras and black truffle. Perfect to get us on our way in NYC.

Dear Jane, Thank you for stopping by when you got into the City, and for your terrific review. We were very happy to get your visit to NYC off to a great start with our DB Burger! Gratefully, Rachel Ossakow, db Bistro Moderne

Reviewed 26 September 2016

I ate here on a Friday night at about 10:00 PM after meeting friends for drinks. I was staying at the attached City Club Hotel so this place was perfectly located... It is two blocks from Times Square and perfect if you are going to a nearby theatre.

I sat at the bar since I was alone in town for business. The bar only seats about 6 and is right at the front door. The restaurant is not wide but goes back pretty far. I was lucky enough to sit next to a nice couple from Copenhagen and had a nice conversation with them while I ate. There was a small selection of bottled beer. I had a stout that was good. For dinner I tried the halibut which was excellent. As soon as I got the menu they brought me an appetizer and some fresh bread. The halibut was served on rice with a mild sauce and broth. It was tender and very tasty.

1  Thank RagsKP94