“Excellent Korean vegetarian in traditional style ”
Review of Hangawi

Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 5 April 2017 via mobile

Discovered this excellent Korean vegetarian restaurant through a friend who has been living in Manhattan for many years now. Excellent food and great hospitality. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

Met my cousin for lunch on a trip to NYC. His choice was amazing. We got the mini price fix lunch and all was great. I had pumpkin porridge, Mandu dumplings, tofu Ginger stew and soy chocolate ice cream. Sure to make anyone,want to eat this way. Very tasty, healthy and beautiful presentation.

Reviewed 9 March 2017

We had booked a table for 4 at Hangawi, after having had it recommended. You come in, and take of your shoes. You sit at lowered tables, and waiters walk around bowing over your table - quite fun.
Food - if you're into vegetarian food - is absolutely amazing. I am not all that into vegetarian food, and even I thought it tasted great.
I had a bowl of rice with vegetables.

Reviewed 20 February 2017 via mobile

We were in New York yesterday and ate at HanGawi because I really wanted a unique experience for my family. There were 4 of us total (my husband and our 2 kids ages 16 and 20)

1. Never ever take a small child there. The rice bowl are absolutely on fire hot. I barely skimmed my own bowl by accident and really burned my finger.

2. The seating and atmosphere is really neat. You must remove your shoes, sit on the floor on pillows and your legs dangle in a pit underneath the table.

3. We are southerners who like grease and meat but with that said - we love to experience new things and are open minded unlike the average southerner in my opinion. The food was good but not to die for. Get their iced tea bc they pour it in a bowl and we thought that was cool too. We didn't have dessert or alcohol and our bill before tip was $166.

4. It's New York. The price for the midtown restaurant and the experience didn't bother me. What did was the service. The waiter wasn't friendly, was difficult to understand, was in a total hurry the whole night. I thought (like in some of the reviews) he would explain and sell the menu and make us meat eating southerns comfortable and he really didn't. We felt the opposite and very out of place. I was hoping the hospitality would win the heart of my family and they wouldn't grumble about me dragging them to a Korean restaurant for vegetarians. No charm on the part of the waiter for a $200 meal.

Just order the avocado bowl if you go. That was good. I had the toduk bowl which he recommended unenthusiastically - too spicy. My daughter had a quinoa bowl which I personally thought was terrible but may have just been not my taste.

Glad overall I took my older kids here but don't think I'd go back the next time I'm in New York

1  Thank Faith G
Reviewed 10 February 2017

This is authentic Korean restaurant with good selection of vegetarian dishes. Even for Manhattan it is not so pricy. Problem is that I'm not vegetarian and I can't really appreciate the vegetarian food but at the same time I have great experience visiting other Korean restaurants in NYC and Korea and I wouldn't say that is the best place.

1  Thank Vitaly S