“Katz Deli! Simply Delicious”
Review of Katz's Deli

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Lower East Side
Reviewed 16 October 2016

When planning our trip to New York one of the things that I googled was best deli's in New York City and Katz Deli was ranked number 1 according to various publications that we read. when we arrived I was shocked when we arrived and saw a big burly (But friendly) security guard/doorman outside instructing us to queue up. When we got inside the place was packed, it was slightly overwhelming but once we got our bearings we ordered and received our food we went to find a place to sit and eat. I had a pastrami on Rye sandwich and french fries, my sister had a corned beef on rye sandwich and my cousin had a chicken salad sandwich. These sandwiches were massive! The pastrami sandwich was top notch. The best pastrami I have ever had! My sister found that the Corned beef was a bit on the dry side though. Apart from that I feel that it lived up to its reputation. All sorts of people dine here, families with young children, tourists like us, locals, I could go on.
If I ever go back to New York I will go back to Katz Deli for sure!

Write a ReviewReviews (12,859)

Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

This place has original climate, but it is also a bit crowdy. Food is very tasty (especially cheescake) and there are some vegetarian options. It is worth seeing for its unique interior.

Reviewed 16 October 2016

So everyone knows that scene from Harry Met Sally, etc. etc. Came here for pastrami on rye and split it with a friend. The line was of course quite long and we stood in line for a while at the counter as well. It's felt like Times Square in terms of the crowd, the body odor, and the proportion of tourists there.

At first I was kind of annoyed with how as it came to our turn at the counter, the gentleman slicing the beef suddenly disappeared for like 10 min. I'm pretty sure he was going to the restroom. But when nature calls, you gotta answer right? And besides, when he came back he had a fresh new hunk of pastrami beef from the kitchen and we had a nice little conversation while he put our sandwich together.

I've heard so much--so much--about pastrami sandwiches from my NYC friends. The one here is definitely better than the one at Pastrami Queen IMO. It's much softer and falls apart in your mouth. However the anise seed studded bread is superior at Pastrami Queen. The bread here was really quite bad. The pickles at both joints are disgusting, slightly less disgusting here than at Pastrami Queen.

However just before we ate our pastrami sandwich we had the Meshugge and smoke salmon bagels at Russ & Daughters which is literally one block west. And the signature foods at that other signature NYC institution were substantially better. I don't think it's that I'm not a pastrami person--I love beef, I love bread, and Rueben sandwiches are one of my top 2 fave sandwich types (the other one is Italian with a LOT of meat). It's just that I've been underwhelmed here and at Pastrami Queen.

One thing that Katz's did get me interested in though is trying matzoh ball soup the next time I'm at a Jewish deli or Jewish-style deli. The matzoh balls here in the soup looked really filling, and a lot of people were ordering them so I assume they're good?

Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

Delicious pastrami - my husband said it was the best he has ever had! It's really a must go if you are in NYC! The fries are just ok, but the pastrami sandwich was awesome!

Reviewed 16 October 2016

If you don't know the famous scene from "When Harry Met Sally"...google it...it's what put Katz's Deli on the global map. Before that...it was a good old fashioned Jewish Deli on the Lower East Side. Now...over priced ($20USD) for a Pastrami sandwich...Are they "Mishugina"? The place is packed, loud and impossible to have a conversation. We walked in, looked at the menu, crowds of people and walked out. So many other great places to eat without the "Tzsuris"!